Painting the brick of a fireplace with an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Ladies and Gents of the Hearth,

We want to paint the brick on the fireplace. As you can see we have an insert in the fireplace. The bricks get hot when we're burning especially in the winter when we're burning full time. I never measured the temps of the bricks, but I know they get pretty hot just above the unit and radiate heat for hours.

I bought high heat spray paint because that was all I could find that was high heat. I would rather use brush. I'm not crazy about spray painting in my livingroom.

I found this stuff for $135/gallon. http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/cstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=148&idcategory=77

I also found Rustoleum roll on high heat paint, but it's only in black. I need white.

Do I need high heat paint for this application? Will regular Benjamin Moore high quality paint fail in some way, pealing, flaking, cracking?

*Eidt: Sorry for the small pic. Also just for the record this pic was taken just after the install and the cord for the fan is now hidden and not visible.

Attachments

• Painting the brick of a fireplace with an insert
    Inaugeral fire in the Oz2.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 231
I painted mine with standard white interior bear paint from home depot, no issues for the last two years...

Thanks for the replies. Dustin, do you have an insert in your fireplace? What did you use as a primer?

Status
Not open for further replies.