Q&A Painting Treemont freestanding woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear webmaster, I have a 15 year old Treemont freestanding woodstove. Last year, I sanded and painted the stove ( with 1250 deg. F. paint) to remove surface rust. After several fires, the paint in the hotter parts of the stove turned white. Recently, I sanded and painted it again with 1300 deg. stove paint. After lighting, the paint again turned white and in some places peeled off. Is it possible the stove is obtaining temperatures above 1300 deg. and burning the paint? I have read that wood can produce temps this high but that steel would glow red at that temp (and it is not). If the new paint is "burning", how was the the original finish able to withstand it? Any suggestions on how to paint this stove?

Answer:

Hard to imagine that the stove exceeded 1300 degrees. It would be glowing a bright red at that temperature. What brand of paint did you use? I always had good luck with Forest Paint (Stove Bright) or thurmalox. If you used a generic brand that may be the problem. In my experience, peeling is from lack of proper surface prep and whitening is from overfiring. However, since it appears you prepared the surface correctly and did not overheat the stove, I'd say try a different brand of paint. They use the same brands of paint mentioned above in the factory, so your new finish should be just like the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.