Painting walls, thermal insulation, heat reflecting, experiences?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
HI, playing with the thermal camera, I notice that the walls of the house are cold, where there is paper, it shines with the thermal camera, and from here I wonder if there is some type of paint that is optimal for not losing heat, what would they be the best bases for an "eco" painting? Thank you

An IR gun has to be calibrated for the surface emissivity. Most people skip that step as they are just looking for relative heat loss. If the emissivity is wrong, the temperature will be off.

@gthomas785
I just noticed that even here in Italy some paintings have the R, but I didn't understand if there is also a scale, near a radiant wood stove should hopefully improve.

@peakbagger
I have a phone with a flir thermal imager, which allows me to see various temperatures at the same time, it's definitely not accurate, but I thought the wall was cold, within the range of my f 500 dispersed heat outside, while if I put a piece of paper in the same place, it remains warmer according to the TC (thermo camera)

in my opinion, based on some research, and an analysis of materials with a thermal imager, an elastomeric, or acrylic, paint should make a good contribution, on a masonry house, probably on American homes that are already better insulated the difference is insignificant