Pallets and cords

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
If one wants to stack a cord of wood and keep it fairly compact , one would need at least six pallets
considering a standard pallet to be 42" x 48"

I stack 5' high on 40"x48" pallets. Puts each pallet at slightly over a 1/2 cord

Did the math on the cord caculator up top and it came to 1.05 cords .......that is if you were square up on both sides of the width and square on the length etc. and no air space in between rows.
I don't think that is a true cord on two pallets.

I have 48" square pallets, 3 sets of 6 pallets, and with stacking two rows, ~ 5 - 6 feet high, on the 6 pallets estimate ~ 3 cords/6 pallets... for a 9 cord inventory when all 3 sets are filled. You could squeeze more on with three rows, but would overhang on the edges and not any room for the wood to breath.

Laying a firm level gravel base is worth the effort. the pallets last longer, remain level, and allow stacking higher (than I should).

There is one problem with "true cord".
It is a stack of wood that's 128 cubic feet in size. The amount of air to wood ratio varies.
A loose stack 4X4X8' is a cord just as much as a tight stack 4X4X8'.
80 to 90 cubic feet of wood is a rough estimate of how much "wood" is in a cord.
That why many of the BTU/cord calculations & weight/cord charts use 85 cubic feet of wood.
I stack mine loose to season & tight when moved to the wood shed.
My cord of green wood shrinks as it dries, & shrinks again when I stack it tight.
I can see a 1/2 cord on a standard pallet easy enough with some overhang, but I'd wrap is with some kind of netting or chicken fence for stability.

Reactions: PapaDave
I generally put down three pallets end to end and get a nice, full cord of wood (I round it up a bit with my punks, chunks and uglies on top) with the wood stacked in a double row . . . I have yet to have a wood pile topple on me . . . although I have had some leaners over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.