1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pallets are hard to come by here

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by velvetfoot, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The hardware store where I've gotten them for free the last couple of years is now charging 15 bucks for them 'cause that's what they spend each on deposit. The local Home Depot doesn't give them away, but sends them somewhere or other for recycling, and the two other local hardware stores just have junky stuff out on the curb. I think I'm going to try stacking 5 cords or so directly along the edge of the gravel driveway and see how that works out.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. branchburner

branchburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Try craigslist, free stuff? Listed almost daily in ME/NH/VT/MA.
  3. learnin to burn

learnin to burn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Pa
    If you have any local shipping/freight company's you may get lucky there or check with company's in a nearby industrial park.
  4. Skier76

Skier76 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT and VT
    I get mine from a local stone yard/landscaping place. They give away a lot of free ones. I beleive most of them are originally used for shipping field stone. I often have to cut off a bit of chicken wire from the base of the pallets.

Call around to some smaller operations. For them, it may be more trouble than it's worth to hire a company to haul them away...or too much work for the business to haul and dispose themselves.
  5. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    The wood will be OK on gravel but the stack could get in the way during snow removal. You could buy the necessary lengths of cedar planks to stack the wood on. They'd be better than pallets anyway...esp when your wood is halfway gone. We grew weary of pallets after using them for a number of years.
  6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    It's experimental.
    Where I stack the wood now is very very shady; there's stuff growing on some of the sides.
    The piles of wood nearby where the wood guy dropped them have dried to a remarkable degree over this wet summer.
    Hopefully the snow removal won't be too bad (snow blower); a plus would be that I'd have to clear around it anyway.
    I might be able to not put the wood in the garage next year and just bring stuff in from the driveway stack.
    It'll be a treat not to brush off each piece and pry off the loose bark, like I do when I bring the wood into the garage.
  7. CarbonNeutral

CarbonNeutral Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
    Ditto for the landscaping company - last year in a rented house with an insert I actually burned their pallets as they were oak (not pressure treated, just old and dry), not sure I'll do that with the new stove in this house. Also, the k-mart near me is happy for me to take their pallets (except for the blue painted ones).
  8. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Just stack it on the ground. Only the pieces on the bottom will be touching the ground, and when it's time to burn those, if they look iffy to you, just throw them on top of your "fresh" pile and they will be ready next time.
  9. waynek

waynek Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    A couple of suggestions for free pallets...I have good luck with the local newspaper and shopping news publisher. In addition, there are a dozen feed mills and ag centers in my area that have free pallets. They take care of all my wood stack needs.

If I want good quality and uniform size pallets (40" X 48" or 48" X 48") a local feed store sells almost new oak (hardwood) pallets for $3.00 a piece. The same pallets went for 6 to 7 dollars a piece before the economy went south last year.
    jackpine
  10. danking49

danking49 Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Try your local newspaper(s) for pallets as a regular steady supply source.
  11. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    velvetfoot, your location is not listed in your profile.

I'll give you some more ideas as to where to finds pallets. Check out the loading dock area of nursing care facilities, schools, assisted living places, hospitals. Think food service delivery places. These pallets get in the drivers way, and look for a place to dump them.

Of course, ask first.

KC
  12. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    If your town or city (or one nearby) has a "light industrial" zone or area, just drive around, you're likely to find pallets (1) on the curb; or (2) in the dumpster ... just waiting for someone to take 'em away. Maybe not the nice oak pallets some folks here talk about (I haven't seen one here in decades), but the "crapwood" pallets, but they'll work for stacking.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  13. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    The blue ones last longer for stacking chores :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.