Panel Radiators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
In an effort to make this topic more searchable and to not hijack maple1’s thread I am posting this topic on panel radiators separately.

Heaterman: What brand of panel rad does your son have? I have not yet installed an under-floor, between the joists, hydronic heating system under the hardwood living room floor to replace and/or offset the forced air supply to this room. Panel rads sure look good if you can get heat at 110*, especially with my Garn. I have looked at some information but it seems they are more designed for 140* and up. Are there charts for BTU’s/ft at temperature X? Sawyer

You can find all you need to know here. http://www.hydronicalternatives.com or more specifically > http://www.hydronicalternatives.com/html/radiators.html
That page will have everything from installation to temperature correction factors. As a rough rule of thumb, I add about 30% capacity for reduced temp operation. In other words if I have a room that requires 6,000btu I will select a rad rated for 7,500-8,000 at normal temps.
If you really want to get scooby doo about it, install a motorized mixing valve that provides outdoor reset of the water temp in front of your panel rad manifold. I love the feel of a 100* rad on a cool April or October morning. Signature Heaterman Saving the world, one wood boiler at a time.

Heaterman: Just a clarification on your 30% upsize rule of thumb for low temp use of radiators…..... After looking at the correction factors for low temp hydronics @ Hydronic Alternatives….... Assuming I ran my (green submarine) storage down to say…120 degrees…...and assumed a 10 degree delta thru a heat exchanger…...this would give me a supply temp of 110 degrees to the radiator…..if I plug in a 68 degree room temp - the table gives me a correction factor of 4.2 (assuming a 100 degree return temp).......which I think says that to get 5k btu I would need to find an emitter with 4.2x5k = 21k btu rated output at their standard conditions to pull 5k btu from it…... are you saying that in the “real world†1.3 x 5k btu = 6500 btu is workable?..... I’m trying to rough out some budget numbers for emitters and see a 3x spread from what I thought I needed to budget…... just a silly survey guy dabbling in heat stuff…..which is always a bit scarey…. Is there maybe enough thermal mass in a building to make just a 30% upsize work thru a short period of low temp supply that is common with the storage approach?
Eauzone Dan

Heaterman: I had the same question after I ran my calculations on the "correction factors for low temperature hydronics" on the Hydronic Alternatives website.

Status
Not open for further replies.