1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Papa Bear installation questions

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by Rebecca Snider, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Rebecca Snider

Rebecca Snider New Member

I am possibly getting a Papa Bear woodstove from a friend and need to know if there is anything special I need to vent it thru my existing fireplace opening and chimney. I am familiar with using woodstoves but this will be an "upgrade" "retrofit" or whatever you want to call it... so I need to know what is going to work safely. I do know it will sit in front of the fireplace but what connections do I need to join up with the chimney ??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Greetings Rebecca. I moved your post to the Classic Forum so that you can get a better response for your situation.

The first thing you will need is a chimney cleaning and inspection. For the best safety, the stove should be connected to a stainless liner sized correctly for the stove. The stove will also need to have proper clearance from any combustibles and it will need a proper hearth, extending at least 16" in front of the stove door.
  3. Rebecca Snider

Rebecca Snider New Member

Thank you... I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use this stove but free is good. :)
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Here is what should be the manual for your stove http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/File:Fisher_Manual.pdf/ which should be of some help to you.

Also, I agree w/ BG's advice in getting a sweep to check things out if you are not 100% sure. Also, the more info you give us (such as pics, dimensions, etc) the better answers we can give you.

Welcome to the site! If you do get that stove hooked up, it's one heck of a big heater.

pen
  5. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Is the stove you're getting rear vent or top vent?