Paradoxes of Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I was struck this morning by the realization that there are several paradoxes and other apparent contradictions in wood burning. I came up with a few to share - I wonder what other ones I'm missing?

Dry wood burns longer than wet - May not be true for pre-EPA stoves, but if you don't get it then you haven't experienced it.

You have to get the firebox hotter at first to get a good long burn - it seems odd that starting off cooler wouldn't be better eh?

Less air will get your more heat - Another EPA stove deal I'm sure, but true anyway

A larger stove can get you more heat from the same wood - basically this argues for having the right size stove instead of pushing the limits of a smaller one. Early to be certain on this, but so far it appears this is indeed the case for me with the PH upgrade from the FV.

I had a couple more but forgot them... (seems to happen more the older I get - no surprise there). Anyone else think of any?

I was struck this morning by the realization that there are several paradoxes and other apparent contradictions in wood burning. I came up with a few to share - I wonder what other ones I'm missing?

Dry wood burns longer than wet - May not be true for pre-EPA stoves, but if you don't get it then you haven't experienced it.

You have to get the firebox hotter at first to get a good long burn - it seems odd that starting off cooler wouldn't be better eh?

Less air will get your more heat - Another EPA stove deal I'm sure, but true anyway

A larger stove can get you more heat from the same wood - basically this argues for having the right size stove instead of pushing the limits of a smaller one. Early to be certain on this, but so far it appears this is indeed the case for me with the PH upgrade from the FV.

I had a couple more but forgot them... (seems to happen more the older I get - no surprise there). Anyone else think of any?

Don't know that I agree with these--I think the first 3 statements are mixing up "long burn" with "greater efficiency" or "more useful BTUs". You can smolder a piece of wet wood all day. #1, again, length of burn doesn't equal heat output or efficiency of burn. #2: getting firebox hot kicks off secondaries/cat earlier, so you're not losing BTUs in the form of unburned smoke. #3: Less air doesn't get you more heat. Air open=hotter fire. But you lose a significant amount of the heat up the chimney. #4: Don't know where this comes from. Only thing I can think of is that you can run a bigger stove with less air/potentially greater efficiency than trying to flog your smaller stove. But if you put 4 splits in each one, you'll get the same heat output (actually, the smaller stove would probably do better with a smaller load)

Status
Not open for further replies.