Partially burned pellets flying out of pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 15, 2018
NWNJ
Messing with my 1st pellet stove and want to get the most out of it. Heat output and efficiency look fine but I noticed partially burned pellets getting airborne and flying out of the pot. Some can glow in the ash pan for 30-60 seconds so I assume there is still energy left in it that would be better off in the pot. Mostly happens when pellets come down the chute and hit the burning ones. I understand the only way to get ash out of the pot is being blown out but that should be only when all energy is burned off and it's basically dust. There's a lot of glowing pellets in the ash pan, especially when the blower level is high. Lowering blower voltages will probably drop off efficiency so I don't think that's a good idea

Ordered some #4 stainless screen (.037" thick wire)from eBay and going to build a screen box around the chute to try and contain and big pieces of un-burned pellets from blowing away and slow down pellets hitting the box. No, it's not a Harman, couldn't afford one of those , so please don't tell me, "You get what you pay for". It's a Comfortbilt HP22 and I think it's a fantastic stove.

Looked around the forum for similar posts buy didn't see anything on this and wondering if anyone has seen this or dealt with it.

Having your damper set to far can cause this as well. It creates to much turbulence and shoots the pellets right back out. You have a similar shoot and pot design as my big e. They make a hopper extension for mine i made my own and with a little tweaking i have 0 pellets escaping.

Here is a link to Enviro flame pattern
note the fireworks (flying sparks) are normal
Keeps the firepot clean

I wouldn't add any screen that stove can be dialed in, some sparks are good but half burned pellets may indicate to much draft. jremington is a dealer for them i'm sure he will drop in and point you in the right direction