Partially insulating a liner and ditch the chimney cap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikessky

Minister of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Northern WI
I installed a 6" 316ti SS liner in my interior clay liner chimney only because I have no prior knowledge of what happened to it previously (it's an older house that I purchased). A visual inspection didn't yield anything alarming and I had several people tell me that the liner wasn't necessary and if it was their's, they would just use the chimney. Being the cautious person that I am, I decided to re-line it anyway as it was fairly cheap insurance. The interior dimension of the clay liner slightly under 7"x7" so I could not fit insulation wrap. The draft on the chimeny is excellent and I have no problem starting fires, keeping them going, etc. Lately I've been thinking about the supposed dead air space I currently have between my liner and the original clay flue. I'm going to stuff some insulation into the clean out in my basement, but would it also be benificial to get some kaowool and stuff it around the liner directly underneath the top plate? My thought is that the top plate is probably a great source of heat lose and that any insulation I can add to that area would be beneficial.

The next question is, does anyone run a SS liner and not use a chimney cap? I'm a 24/7 burner, so I don't think anything would come down the chimney any time this winter. I'm seeing that the cap is a great place for condensation to occur and then I get dirty icicles and stains on the masonary from the condensation dripping off the cap.

Chimney Caps also help to maintain a good draft and prevent back puffing during high winds. They also work as "spark arrestors" and keep burning embers from landing on the pile of leaves next to your house.

Keep the cap, ditch the cap, its your set up, do as you prefer. Me, I am keeping my cap & screen. After the first year and learning the stove & my burning habits, and what truly DRY wood is, I have no problems with build up, nothing a cleaning the following year does no remedy. No rain or snow coming down this liner. we get some heavy rain, so I can imagine more than just a couple drops would come down.
Thats just my preference though. If your more comfy with it off, then take it off. As long as their are no local or state statutes that reverse that thinking.
Putting some insulation under the cap won't hurt. Less heat transfer & warmer pipe = less buildup. Make sure the top plate is sealed to the existing clay tile good, that will do 10x more good than it not sealed and stuffed with insulation. Insulation does not stop air flow.

I broke the current cap, so once the new one arrives I might just have to break out the Dremel and a cut off disk and take a little material off the top and the band that is half way up. I think even just a little material removal (an inch or so) should help the smoke/moisture get out quicker and have less area to condense on.

The top plate is well sealed with Rutland high temp silicone. I think I'll pick up some kaowool and wait for an unseasonably warm day and then do my next sweeping and pull the top plate and stuff the kaowool around the liner. I think that any amount I can fit in there will ultimately help me in maintaining flue temps and keeping creosote levels down.

I like chimney caps and hope to always have one. I don't like screens since they can clog up with crap even if you're burning good wood properly.

Many many chimneys, dare I say the majority, don't have a cap of any sort. Think Mary Poppins.

Put a cap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.