Parts source for Martin Perfection 8-16

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ToddMcc

Apr 20, 2023
Atlanat GA
Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first question ...

I have an old Martin Perfection 8-16 that I rescued from the corner of an old shed on my family's property. The stove was mostly assembled but becuase of the age, the humid conditions, etc, it wasn't "intact" - the long bolts that hold it together side-side and the top to the bottm had had rusted out. I have all the parts and the measurements but cannot find a source for such distinctive parts; any one have a suggestion? I've tried Fastenal, IndustrialBolts, MarineBoltSupply, Grainger, and a few others, but the problem is twofold:
1) these are "plow bolts" as far as I can tell - ie., flat heads with tapered shoulders to fit into the cooktop (near the front), and
2) they are small diameter - 1/4" and #10, according to my gauge - but need tio be 7 1/2'L, 8 1/2"L, and 14"L.

I could prob live with grinding down the head on carriage bolts, but I have NO idea where else to look for 14"L X 1/4" bolts. Some have rusted away at the threaded end, so there's no way I can reuse them.

Any suggestions AT ALL that would let me re-assemble the stove would be greatly appreciated. I'm in metro ATL, but even some of the better hardware stores I've tried look at me with blank stares.

Todd

Have tried looking at 1/4-20 threaded rod? It comes in different lengths…You might have to use a nut & washer at the top, but it might work. Threaded rod can be found at big box stores & True Value Hardware Stores…

Reactions: ToddMcc
Hi, all. Long-time lurker, first question ...

I have an old Martin Perfection 8-16 that I rescued from the corner of an old shed on my family's property. The stove was mostly assembled but becuase of the age, the humid conditions, etc, it wasn't "intact" - the long bolts that hold it together side-side and the top to the bottm had had rusted out. I have all the parts and the measurements but cannot find a source for such distinctive parts; any one have a suggestion? I've tried Fastenal, IndustrialBolts, MarineBoltSupply, Grainger, and a few others, but the problem is twofold:
1) these are "plow bolts" as far as I can tell - ie., flat heads with tapered shoulders to fit into the cooktop (near the front), and
2) they are small diameter - 1/4" and #10, according to my gauge - but need tio be 7 1/2'L, 8 1/2"L, and 14"L.

I could prob live with grinding down the head on carriage bolts, but I have NO idea where else to look for 14"L X 1/4" bolts. Some have rusted away at the threaded end, so there's no way I can reuse them.

Any suggestions AT ALL that would let me re-assemble the stove would be greatly appreciated. I'm in metro ATL, but even some of the better hardware stores I've tried look at me with blank stares.

Todd
All thread with a coupler to a bolt below the top

Thanks for the replies, I think I have a good plan now.

Here are what's left of the bolts in question:
martin_bolts.jpg