passive or heat-powered radiant heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
Hi y'all. Has anyone experimented with using aluminum or other objects on the stove top, side, rear and bottom, or pipe for extra heat conduction?

I'm looking for ways to harvest more heat in blackout situations, when my ceiling and room fans aren't working.

How about those finned aluminum fans i see for no less than $90 (which is obscene). Has anyone had good success with those or homemade ones?

Can plain aluminum heat sinks sit directly on top of stove and not burn or warp? I think aluminum doesn't melt until 1261deg F, i don't think the top of the stove gets over 1100 at all.

Random thoughts . . .

I put a hunk of soapstone on top of my cast iron stove . . . anecdotally . . . I don't see any real difference in it and the hunk of cast iron in terms of heat radiation and cool down. I suspect it's simply because a woodstove made entirely out of soapstone is a lot different than putting a slab on top of the stove.

Haven't ever found a need to pull more heat from the woodstove . . . it radiates enough heat as it is . . . what I have noticed is that it seems as though running it 24/7 keeps the temps inside the house at a more even keel vs. running it once or twice a day. Even though the fire may die down after an overnight, it seems to me that the home's walls, ceiling, floor and furnishings may have absorbed some of that heat energy over time . . . just a thought . . . I'm no real expert though.

Hi y'all. Has anyone experimented with using aluminum or other objects on the stove top, side, rear and bottom, or pipe for extra heat conduction?

I'm looking for ways to harvest more heat in blackout situations, when my ceiling and room fans aren't working.

How about those finned aluminum fans i see for no less than $90 (which is obscene). Has anyone had good success with those or homemade ones?

Can plain aluminum heat sinks sit directly on top of stove and not burn or warp? I think aluminum doesn't melt until 1261deg F, i don't think the top of the stove gets over 1100 at all.

Aluminum would make a good heat *radiator* but not a good heat sink. And your stove has been designed to radiate heat at a certain level for optimal burning. That's why you see very few stove/hot water interchangers...additional cooling changes the operation of the stove, and not for the better.

You are probably better off investing in a good blocking plate and chimney insulation, if relevant. If not, you're probably better off investing in further house sealing and insulation.

Let the stove operate the way it was designed. I doubt we can outsmart the manufacturer. :)

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.