Stove Top Heat Sinks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I was planning on posting this when I saw this other old thread:
Because it was old, I decided to post mine anyway. I was looking for a way to get more heat into the house. Having a larger stove top surface area seemed the way to go. I look at these as increasing the stove top area.
I made up 6 hate sinks from 3" x 3" x 3/16" angle iron a few weeks back. I cut the angle iron 4" long. I was planning on painting them, but the weather is too cold to spray paint them outside. Therefore I used aluminum foil underneath to protect the stove top surface. These rapidly get hot as the heat transfers from stove top to heat sink.
I have a blower attached to the stove, and I like the way it moves hot air toward the room. With the air blowing across these heat sinks, I think I can transfer more hot air into the room. With the fan off, they act just like a larger stove top.

StoveTop Heat Sinks.jpg