Passive Solar Produces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seasoned Oak asked for a source of insulating blinds http://cellularwindowshades.wordpress.com/

I bought some of their blinds with the side tracks (they qualified for a rebate). I have some regular double cellular without the tracks and some with and the ones with the tracks are a lot tighter with fewer drafts. I only wish they made them with a reflective coating on the outside so that in the summer I could use them to cut back on solar gain. In general, I like their cellular blinds better as the hardware is a bit heavier than the American brand.

I'm thinking of making my own curtains which will incorporate a stylish fabric on the interior side, a layer of batting, a layer of radiant barrier fabric, and then a sheer white layer toward the exterior to diffuse any reflections off the radiant barrier layer.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

I'm also thinking an air-tight valence at the top and maybe velcro the outside edges of the curtains to the sides of the window frame. And maybe pair that with a tracked insulated window shade.

Sounds like a high tech version of the old "window quilt" insulated curtains. They down side for them was that they took up a lot of space when they were in the open position. The cellular blinds dont take up much room when open.

I like the look of cellular blinds better too. They can track in side channels to make a fairly effective insulation barrier and they can be used to reduce heat gain, while still allowing diffuse lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.