1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Passive Solar Produces

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Thomas Anderson, Sep 25, 2012.

1. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Seasoned Oak asked for a source of insulating blinds http://cellularwindowshades.wordpress.com/

I bought some of their blinds with the side tracks (they qualified for a rebate). I have some regular double cellular without the tracks and some with and the ones with the tracks are a lot tighter with fewer drafts. I only wish they made them with a reflective coating on the outside so that in the summer I could use them to cut back on solar gain. In general, I like their cellular blinds better as the hardware is a bit heavier than the American brand.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thomas Anderson

Thomas Anderson Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I'm thinking of making my own curtains which will incorporate a stylish fabric on the interior side, a layer of batting, a layer of radiant barrier fabric, and then a sheer white layer toward the exterior to diffuse any reflections off the radiant barrier layer.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/temptrol.htm

I'm also thinking an air-tight valence at the top and maybe velcro the outside edges of the curtains to the sides of the window frame. And maybe pair that with a tracked insulated window shade.
  3. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Sounds like a high tech version of the old "window quilt" insulated curtains. They down side for them was that they took up a lot of space when they were in the open position. The cellular blinds dont take up much room when open.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I like the look of cellular blinds better too. They can track in side channels to make a fairly effective insulation barrier and they can be used to reduce heat gain, while still allowing diffuse lighting.