Passive vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookin2night

Jun 26, 2014
NW NEW JERSEY
I want to install some from first for to second floor. Anyone have any experience? Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just open holes ... not allowed by code as should have fusible link that melts off in case of fire. Otherwise, you just created several chimneys through those holes.

Better to create a cold air return that drops the cold air near the stove. We use our ducting with in-line fans pulling cold air from our bedrooms and bring them to the living room where the stove is.

Aside from the code issues mentioned above, my experience and recollection (from my Dad's attempts years ago) was that there wasn't a whole lot of heat transfer from the passive vents, not even when small fans were to used in an attempt to make them "active" vents.

Both answers are correct. Properly sized, safely fire-linked and correctly located they might help, but very often they are not effective because they are too small and/or improperly placed to assist good convection. Post a 1st and 2nd floor sketch that includes the room opening, stove and stairwell location and we can see if there are some solutions.

Reactions: saydinli
Our old farmhouse has two 10"x14" grates leading from the first to the second floor, plus an open stairway. One grate is located directly above the stove, and moves some serious warm air. The whole upstairs stays very warm.

Our last house had one with a blower as well. It didn't do half as good in warming the upstairs. I think each house layout varies greatly in how well they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.