1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

@#%&@!! Passwords/Usernames

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Jack Straw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I am up to about 30 different passwords and or ids with everything I have going on. 1 compamy requires me to change the password every 90 days. I can't remember all of this.....I am starting to keep them on my Ipad, but I don't always have it. How do you handle this problem?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    same password for anything that isn't deemed "sensitive information". my email, and whatnot have complex 3 letter passwords...everything else is simple.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Do what everybody else does--write it down on a piece of paper and tape it to your monitor.;lol
    bfunk13 and n3pro like this.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Mine are all scribbled on a piece of paper which is cleverly folded and concealed beneath my mouse pad where nobody would ever expect to find it. ;lol
    n3pro likes this.
  5. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    well now your secrets out, time for a new hiding place
  6. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Spare front door key under the mat ?:(
  7. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Front door's never locked.
    milleo and PapaDave like this.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I keep a simple database that contains them. There's no way I could remember them all.

I've been considering getting a utility for this because the need for stronger pwds is growing.This is one I am looking at:
    http://keepass.info/
  9. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Presumably, if your computer's password protected, you keep that one someplace other than the database. Don't want to lock the keys in the car. !!!
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Computer and the database are pwd protected. The keys remain in my head for that right now, but as I get older, this is risky business.
  11. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Indeed it is, as I well know. ;lol
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I keep all of mine on a written list and put it in a safe along with all our valuables. I tape the combination to the safe on the monitor screen in case I forget it.
  13. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Part of my rant is due to our new email at work, I just tried emailing my boss and under contacts they have listed our vehicles, somehow they now have email addresses !

Name Alias Phone Office Title Company

2011 Chevy Impala Black MS 2011ChevyImpalaBlack
    2011 Chevy Impala White MS 2011ChevyImpalaWhite
  14. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Screw it. Make 'em all the same.!!!
  15. jc64

jc64 New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    On my home computer, under the "Favorites" drop-down, I have listed the passwords next to the saved sites. Example: [hearth.com - jc64 - password]. On most all the forums I'm on my screen mane is jc64, so I just have the website then the password. As for the work passwords that need to be reset, I use the same word but change the number at the end. I started with "password1" now I am up to "password17" after 4 years.

jc

Note, password is not my password, I used the word password as an example of my real password. So if you try password as a password it will say password is an invalid password for a password.
  16. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    That could conceivably be hacked. I picked up a 'little black book' from the $ store. It is alphabetized so it makes it easy to store passwords and look them up. And it frees you to make them really cryptic too. Like this one: P1o#O_-h:b~
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Mine are in a password encrypted document lol !

Pete
  18. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It is horrible - we need more biometric stuff....

Here's what I do. I use gmail, which is available from everywhere. So I send myself an email with some hints in it as to the password. I don't think anyone else could interpret this.

Example:
    If my facebook password was dogboat8, I'd send myself an email with "facebook fb pw password" in the title or body (so I could easily search for it later).

Then the body of the email would say something like:

k9cataddy

or even more mumbled. K9 stands for dog, cat stands for my boat (catamaran), addy stands for my current address (8).

This is just an example. My actual PW's would be harder for others...I would not use K9, etc.......
  19. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    A strong password contains no common words at all, at least one capital letter and a non-alphabetic character. Mine used to be easy and I still use simple ones for light stuff. But for important sites (anything dealing with money for example) the pwd should be very strong and changed every 90 days or so. It's a pita, but so is having your identity hijacked.
  20. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Ditto on the money stuff! My simple PW's are for FB, Forums, Etc........

Don't do it for bank accts, ebay, paypal, etc.....

There are some password programs, but they have a password you need to get in! From that standpoint, the piece of paper in the filing cabinet is quite safe, especially if it somewhat codes the particular site names.....
  21. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I do like the idea of using a web-based email like gmail as a cloud, which is accessible wherever you might go. Email accounts can be hacked, though, especially in a public wifi area, so you have to be careful there, and like webbie does, ecrypt them further with some kind of code which is a pita also.

The problem with little black books and lists and such is that they can be found by a burglar or something. Even your written lists should probably be encypted some way and well hidden, at least from a casual burglar. I hate the idea of having such lists in a password protected file in my computers because I'd go crazy if my computer got lost or stolen, knowing that it could possibly be hacked, and you still have to have a backup list somewhere for that possibility anyway.

I guess there are commercial apps and clouds to handle that, but I don't know anything about them.
  22. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Do it in pencil and it can be changed with ease.
    I guess any system can be compromised
  23. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Here is another hint.....you might have a combination lock or something else with a 4 or 5 number lock.

If you use that as part of your pw , it can be easier to remember. I really don't think anyone is gonna get the combo to your gun safe, etc. and then know it's also your ebay pw.

But to add another layer, you can code it in your hints - maybe use it backwards, etc.

Again, this is not as safe as y75eIUMH10+mn71MZmz, but often vastly better than the common passwords. I just heard a newscast about the most common passwords and they are stuff like 0000 and 1234, etc.

So most anything you do is a step above!

I don't think I've ever been hacked in that way in all my years, but admittedly that makes me lazier than I should be!
  24. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I do just that and for some pwds have worn a hole in the paper.
  25. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Don't use names of the president(s).
    :)