PDVC creaking, ticking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heb80

Feb 14, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I'm on my third year of using my Englander PDVC stove. It has always had isolated creaks/ticks in the past when i would crank it up from 1 to 9 and get it cooking. This season however it seems to do it significantly more, even when turning it up from 1 to 4, and from 4 back to 1. Basically the slightest temperature change makes it creak/tick. And its not just a single tick either like in the past... it will do it every 2 seconds for several minutes. Once the stove's temperature stabilizes it goes away.

I always run the blower on 9 by the way.

Any thoughts?

heb80 said:
I'm on my third year of using my Englander PDVC stove. It has always always had isolated creaks/ticks in the past when i would crank it up from 1 to 9 and get it cooking. This season however it seems to do it significantly more, even when turning it up from 1 to 4, and from 4 back to 1. Basically the slightest temperature change makes it creak/tick. And its not just a single tick either like in the past... it will do it every 2 seconds for several minutes. Once the stove's temperature stabilizes it goes away.

Any thoughts?

How's about the repeated thermal expansion and contraction has loosened up things a bit so it is more noisy now?

I suspected that were the case, but I am looking for a possible fix. It is actually somewhat loud. It woke me up last night everytime the thermostat kicked the stove up from 1 to 4. The bedroom is about 35ft from the stove, down a hallway.

SmokeyTheBear said:
heb80 said:
I'm on my third year of using my Englander PDVC stove. It has always always had isolated creaks/ticks in the past when i would crank it up from 1 to 9 and get it cooking. This season however it seems to do it significantly more, even when turning it up from 1 to 4, and from 4 back to 1. Basically the slightest temperature change makes it creak/tick. And its not just a single tick either like in the past... it will do it every 2 seconds for several minutes. Once the stove's temperature stabilizes it goes away.

Any thoughts?

How's about the repeated thermal expansion and contraction has loosened up things a bit so it is more noisy now?

Yes locate, check and tighten any fasteners on the stove that are loose. Also make certain that all fans/blowers have been cleaned and that the gaskets on them are good, fans tend to have a regular noise if there is a piece of crud that can hit another piece of the housing on every revolution. The gasket on the convection fan is there to stop vibration. Then I'd see about lubing any and all motors that can be.

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and track the offending cause down.

Metal doors can vibrate and make some strange noises so make certain they close tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.