PDVC vibtrating / metal grinding noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Well, what is going on here. My pdvc is making a noise. The only thing I can describe it as is metal vibrating or maybe the sound of someone grinding metal in a shop. It is a very faint noise, not loud or anything. It maybe my imagination, but the blower seems to sound like it is not blowing as fast as it usually does (9) . I did a cleaning a few weeks ago.
Any ideas?

no,
it actually sounds like it is coming from the exhaust side.

might be on of the bearings in the combustion blower......I know you just cleaned it but you can try lubing it but I don't think those motors have oil ports on them.....does it sound sort of like a dremel tool running but faint?

slvrblkk said:
might be on of the bearings in the combustion blower......I know you just cleaned it but you can try lubing it but I don't think those motors have oil ports on them.....does it sound sort of like a dremel tool running but faint?

yeah, a little bit.
dang, only had the stove a year. Really can't afford to put $ into right now.

Is it still under warranty? Even though I think the bearings are sealed, you could try putting a few drops of oil on it and see what happens. I think they (forum members) said 20 weight synthetic but maybe someone else can chime in on that.

slvrblkk said:
Is it still under warranty? Even though I think the bearings are sealed, you could try putting a few drops of oil on it and see what happens. I think they (forum members) said 20 weight synthetic but maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Any 20w non-detergent oil will work....like 3 in 1. Try putting a few drops on the end of the bearings and see if it will "wick" it's way in while running.

If you have a spare comb. blower gasket, I'd remove it from the stove and run it using a "test" power cord....if the noise is there, you'll be able to pinpoint it (and easier to try lubing it too).

If noise disappears, it might be something loose or hitting while it's installed.

My old 2001 was rattling some from the comb blower area.

Retorqued the comb blower nuts and it solved the problem.

my pdvc was doing the same thing a few weeks ago replaced exhaust blower and it's fine now

Is my stove save to run with a bad combustion blower? The noise is getting louder at times and now it makes a power surging noise I guess I would call it.
Waiting to see if it is still under warranty. ( bought last February)

chrisasst said:
Is my stove save to run with a bad combustion blower? The noise is getting louder at times and now it makes a power surging noise I guess I would call it.
Waiting to see if it is still under warranty. ( bought last February)

If the blower stops the vacuum is lost and the switch will stop the feed of pellets allowing the stove to shutdown. This is actually a better shutdown than occurs during a power failure because the room air blower continues to run until the stove cools. I have not experienced a power failure shutdown but a natural draft remains although I suspect there may be some smoke.

Had the same problem a year ago, called customer service and they said to spray a little WD-40 into the center bearing area of the blower. It worked great and every time I get this noise I spray a little WD-40 and it is quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.