PE Pacific Insert. Contemplating Self Induced Sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
I figure it's due, and at $175 for the one in November, it's time to suck it up, Buttercup. I don't want a clog in February, ya know :smirk:

A trip To Homeboy Depot, and I should have all the needed supplies.

It twill not be me up on the roof. But I figure I can handle the insert part pretty well. Sweep has been here twice since install, and I paid attention. The only thing I would do different is take out the baffle before the sweep.

Since the snow, I have had access to less than perfect wood (closer to the house, etc). Rectifying that this weekend, with the heat wave, and all. Still managed to get to 450 - 600 °F before retiring. I don't like the look of the cap. Been there, done that.

I had 2 days of no oil burner for heat to the apartment & hot water as it conked out during the last cold snap (0 °F with the wind chill) , and we still had 60 °F in the apartment and 68 °F in the main house.

My glass has been pretty clean. I'm pretty proud of that :)

My plan is to take out the baffle (twist & up), the off with the cap, and a sweep, scoop out the creosote, reinstall baffle (vacuum insulation) and reinstall. I am alittle nervous about this, want to get it right. I know it's important, this part. I do know where the pin is to remove the baffle.

Should I remove the bricks, like the sweep does (take it all apart & vauum everything), or can I just do the above. Last sweep was at the end of November. I was burning dry wood until 1 week before Christmas.

Interior chimney, not insulated, not block off plate. When the install was done, they cut out enough of the damper to get the liner in, and left the rest. Much better power this year, as opposed to last.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you have it all figured out. I'm doing my stove tomorrow. I would remove the bricks, vacuume all the ash and inspect the welds. I also remember someone stating to plug the combustion hole for the PE baffle before you sweep all the crud down into it.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I figure it's due, and at $175 for the one in November, it's time to suck it up, Buttercup. I don't want a clog in February, ya know :smirk:

A trip To Homeboy Depot, and I should have all the needed supplies.

It twill not be me up on the roof. But I figure I can handle the insert part pretty well. Sweep has been here twice since install, and I paid attention. The only thing I would do different is take out the baffle before the sweep.

Since the snow, I have had access to less than perfect wood (closer to the house, etc). Rectifying that this weekend, with the heat wave, and all. Still managed to get to 450 - 600 °F before retiring. I don't like the look of the cap. Been there, done that.

I had 2 days of no oil burner for heat to the apartment & hot water as it conked out during the last cold snap (0 °F with the wind chill) , and we still had 60 °F in the apartment and 68 °F in the main house.

My glass has been pretty clean. I'm pretty proud of that :)

My plan is to take out the baffle (twist & up), the off with the cap, and a sweep, scoop out the creosote, reinstall baffle (vacuum insulation) and reinstall. I am alittle nervous about this, want to get it right. I know it's important, this part. I do know where the pin is to remove the baffle.

Should I remove the bricks, like the sweep does (take it all apart & vauum everything), or can I just do the above. Last sweep was at the end of November. I was burning dry wood until 1 week before Christmas.

Interior chimney, not insulated, not block off plate. When the install was done, they cut out enough of the damper to get the liner in, and left the rest. Much better power this year, as opposed to last.

Thoughts?

Dixie,
Up to you, but this time of year, I would leave the brick in, pull the baffle, sweep the liner, leave the creosote in the bottom where it falls, clean the glass, inspect the welds around the front & opening, and load her up and fire it up. You can always pull the bricks & do a thorough full inner cleaning & inspection in the spring when you no longer are burning. I used to clean the creosote out, but now I leave it fall to the floor of the stove and let it burn.
Just my thing, but I do the "big" cleaning after the season. If you vacuum, be careful not to suck the rail insulation into the vacuum.
From end of Nov., you ain't been burning even 2 months yet.

"It twill not be me up on the roof."

Note to self: If this marriage ever falls apart and you are in a bar on Long Island and she says shes has horses and a wood stove, run." :lol:

BrotherBart said:

Note to self: If this marriage ever falls apart and you are in a bar on Long Island and she says shes has horses and a wood stove, run." :lol:

LMAO
I second that, BUT......................
If there is even a hint of cleavage, I will lose my train of thought. And being a guy, I just would not be able to not look LMAO.

BrotherBart said:

LMFAO !!!!!

Sorry, BB, but I make some mean chicken wings, sauerbrauten (mit dumplings!!!), and an excellant spinach salad
cool-smiley-008.gif

Your loss
action-smiley-060.gif

Like my friend Janice says... men are like buses. Another one will come along
action-smiley-075.gif

I was just sitting on the "throne" in the think tank, and had a thought about developing a simple pan that I can slide over the top of the baffle back under the outlet hole, and sweep the soot down and let it fall into the pan, without pulling the baffle. Not sure if its feasible, but I was in thinking mode at the time.

BrotherBart said:

LMFAO !!!!!

Sorry, BB, but I make some mean chicken wings, sauerbrauten (mit dumplings!!!), and an excellant spinach salad
cool-smiley-008.gif

Your loss
action-smiley-060.gif

Like my friend Janice says... men are like buses. Another one will come along
action-smiley-075.gif

Dayum, chicken wings is a tempting seduction, but you NEVER try to temp a guy with Spinach salad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh, that was 5 steps back now LOL

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

LMAO
If there is even a hint of cleavage, I will lose my train of thought. And being a guy, I just would not be able to not look LMAO.

Hogz, you'd be in luck !!!!

happy0005.gif

LOL !!!

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

LMAO

Hog, sounds to me like you know EXACTLY where the train is heading.

Eileen,
I think you got it. I'm with Hog though, just leave the creo in there. It'll burn.
With the warm-up the weather guessers are calling for, I may try to do a full cleanout myself. I think my bad weld is leaking a little in the back of the stove. Good time to seal it back up. Maybe some new firebrick, since I noticed one is cracked kinda bad.
Spinach salad? Really? Maybe some romaine, but ain't no Popeyes here. :lol:

Yep. Spinach would get me right up on that roof. Go out and look up at the chimney. I will be along shortly. Really. I will. :coolsmirk:

The other verse to this tune is that it sounds like a good plan. Brush that sucker and clean the firebox after the season is over.

Check on that baffle gasket stuff before you pull the baffle and get stuck not being able to burn though.

BrotherBart said:
The other verse to this tune is that it sounds like a good plan. Brush that sucker and clean the firebox after the season is over.

Check on that baffle gasket stuff before you pull the baffle and get stuck not being able to burn though.

That was plan, BB. Local shop has it in stock :)

There is a real possibility that I could get stuck in the same situation again this year. I figured better safe than sorry.

I'll burn it Saturday night, then let it chill. Sunday PM should be fine. Barring any rain :coolsmirk:

If you remove the baffle to sweep the chimney, don't forget to plug the firebox baffle connection with some insulation etc., so that it doesn't get plugged with the sweeping debris.

Sisu said:
If you remove the baffle to sweep the chimney, don't forget to plug the firebox baffle connection with some insulation etc., so that it doesn't get plugged with the sweeping debris.

Excellent advice.

And if you do forget to plug the connection that feeds the baffle a shopvac does a good job of sucking the crud out. Don't ask how I know...

Thanks for the heads ups on both baffles. I'll remember that.

In my second year of burning, is a baffle gasket an issue?

No one in Riverhead had brushes and rods, rods were the issue. I opted for the Rutland rope kit. I figure when the rods come in, I can pick up a set and be good to go, after this.

I doubt the chimney is clogged. Decent draft. I'm burning it hotter. Cleaned the boost baffle area, getting much better burn. Wood is above what I had 1 week ago. I raided next years wood, knowing I had some dry stuff stashed in there from when I stacked it. No smoke from the chimney when I left this AM with the stove at 600 °F and air fully closed.

Maybe I just have to clean the cap, but better safe than sorry. I bought a steel brush for cleaning the cap, as well. I don't like the way the cap looks.

If I need a weight, I have one. Figured I'd use one of Dixie's "baby shoes" that I have here. It's 4 1/2" wide. A perfect fit :p

Thanks for the heads ups on both baffles. I'll remember that.

In my second year of burning, is a baffle gasket an issue?

No one in Riverhead had brushes and rods, rods were the issue. I opted for the Rutland rope kit. I figure when the rods come in, I can pick up a set and be good to go, after this.

I doubt the chimney is clogged. Decent draft. I'm burning it hotter. Cleaned the boost baffle area, getting much better burn. Wood is above what I had 1 week ago. I raided next years wood, knowing I had some dry stuff stashed in there from when I stacked it. No smoke from the chimney when I left this AM with the stove at 600 °F and air fully closed.

Maybe I just have to clean the cap, but better safe than sorry. I bought a steel brush for cleaning the cap, as well. I don't like the way the cap looks.

If I need a weight, I have one. Figured I'd use one of Dixie's "baby shoes" that I have here. It's 4 1/2" wide. A perfect fit :p

IN my own experience, the minute you remove the baffle, you will need a new stock gasket. They just do not hold up.
If/when I get some free time, I will make any PE burners here a baffle gasket.
Maybe I should call Craig and start advertising aftermarket PE supplies ;)

Hogwildz said:
IN my own experience, the minute you remove the baffle, you will need a new stock gasket. They just do not hold up.

I think a pic of spinach in cleavage would probably get a new gasket on its way to Long Island in a heartbeat. :lol: A rapid heartbeat at that. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

I think a pic of spinach in cleavage would probably get a new gasket on its way to Long Island in a heartbeat. :lol: A rapid heartbeat at that. :coolsmirk:

Just send the cleavage, hold the Spinach.

The cleavega isn't leaving LI.

Spinach or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.