PE Summit... A Few Operation Questions Before Starting 24/7 Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
Now that I have a few weeks operating my new to me stove (2007 build) I'm building up a few questions before I commit to 24/7 burning this beast. Mainly nervous stuffing the thing and heading out the door with a full load in it.

Some questions specific to this stove, some general questions to newer, glass door stoves. (My downstairs stove is a dinosaur Federal Airtight.

(1). Is logs sliding against the glass and burning on the glass during a burn something to be worried about?
(2). Once stuffed full and the load has got a 20-30 minute startup from coals burn, is it OK to damper fully down and head out to work? Note, damper fully down on the PE Summit has a stop that does not fully shut off air, remains 1/4ish open. With the amount of fuel this firebox holds, I would be very nervous leaving the house if the damper wasn't in the lowest setting.
(3) How log do you you guys give yourself in the AM to get the stove fired up and ready for the day.
(4) Any general recommendations/tips for to feel comfortable leaving a stove for the day that is stuffed with a full firebox.

The stove has been ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS so far. Got a great deal on it, very gently used. Heats like its going out of style, burns for hours on end, holds 600 degrees for hours on end and slowly drops off. If you guys can put me at ease, I can see this thing doing some heavy lifting this winter!!

IMG_2115 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Confidence will come with experience. On a Saturday in the morning, load it full, char, reduce air, and don’t touch it for the whole burn. Watch it to see what happens.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
(1). Is logs sliding against the glass and burning on the glass during a burn something to be worried about?
(2). Once stuffed full and the load has got a 20-30 minute startup from coals burn, is it OK to damper fully down and head out to work? Note, damper fully down on the PE Summit has a stop that does not fully shut off air, remains 1/4ish open. With the amount of fuel this firebox holds, I would be very nervous leaving the house if the damper wasn't in the lowest setting.
(3) How log do you you guys give yourself in the AM to get the stove fired up and ready for the day.
(4) Any general recommendations/tips for to feel comfortable leaving a stove for the day that is stuffed with a full firebox.
1) Yes, you want to avoid logs against the glass. Loading the stove N/S will prevent this from happening and you can load the stove fuller.
2) Once you are fully confident in the stove operation and the wood, then yes. But first practice on weekends so that you can observe the full burn cycle. Where the air control gets set will depend on the draft and the wood. As it gets colder, draft will get stronger, so if it is strong now, then it may need draft reduction when it gets very cold outside.
3) I gave myself 45 minutes. Usually it would only take 20 minutes, but sometimes you will get a balky startup and it may take a little more time. Having a buffer takes the anxiety out of this.
4) Bigger splits will burn slower and less dramatically. If all there are is medium splits then pack them in tightly to reduce air gaps. Turn down the air as quickly as possible, in increments, without snuffing the flame.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have been doing numerous test runs the past two weeks and had great results. I guess I'm beginning to realize that once going good, these stoves can be dampered down to the lowest setting (Lowest setting designed to still allow some air into the box). I had been apprehensive to go to the lowest setting as my only experience is with old stoves, and if I shut the dampers on my old stove, there is zero air to the firebox and it chokes the fire out.

This AM I woke to a hearty bed of coals and decided to load it up. Put a few small kindling pieces on and then maybe medium splits, roughly a half full box. Took my shower, made the coffee, let the dogs out and dampered down. Had a nice roaring fire going, but maybe could have used a few more minutes of open damper. So far, even with a half full box, i should come home to enough coals to rekindle 12 hours later.

All these thoughts/concerns came about when I got it going good after work yesterday, then stuffed it to the max and set the damper at about 1/4 open. The stove seriously started throwing some heat. Nothing close to over fire, but held 650 degrees for hours on end and flue temps were 400-450.

These newer stoves ever have glass failure under normal operation? If they do, what does it consist of? Shatter? Crack? Complete blowout?

the glass is actually a ceramic, and as long as you don't hit it or shove a piece of wood in with it when you close it it shouldn't break

the glass is actually a ceramic, and as long as you don't hit it or shove a piece of wood in with it when you close it it shouldn't break

The glass is amazingly tough. With the summit n\s loading very little should ever hit the glass, but even if it does it shouldn't hurt it. In my smaller vista it would often burn with a log against the glass as they load the other way and things would shift during the burn. After 5 years no damage and the glass would clean up just fine.

The two main causes for the ceramic glass to break are putting in a slightly too long split and closing the stove door against it and banging the glass with a stove tool. Avoid those two issues and the glass should last the life of the stove.