PE summit/ forever flex liner install!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Living

Jan 7, 2015
PA
So thanks to this website and an abundance of research I bought the PE Summit insert and the pre-insulated liner. I'm going to post pics of the progression start to finish. After installing the liner and block off plate today. I've realized this is definetelt a 2 man job. Got it done in 3.5 hours but it sure whooped my butt! You can see on the liner I had to remove the insulation and outer liner to attach to the stove, also you see some "divots" in the liner where it was hitting the damper latch which I removed after seeing that.

The following photos are from original fireplace with damper closed to block off plate installed with liner through. The following photos will be during the PE summit install.

IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1431.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like that liner was a little tight going down! Nice block off plate.

Yeah the liner was rubbing against the metal damper connecters that were protruding out, I had to cut them off mid way through to give myself more room. Did a light check in the liner to make sure there were no punctures.

I thought this was pre insulated? So I assumed that was the outer wall that was just protecting the insulation.

I thought this was pre insulated? So I assumed that was the outer wall that was just protecting the insulation.

No, you can see in the picture before I put the Roxul insulation in, that I had to remove the insulation to have any chance of fitting the pipe through the cut damper. With the insulation it was measuring a little over 8"! I opted to cut the outer liner from where it meets the smoke shelf down. I may add the insulation I removed back to the pipe when I determine what length I have to cut to to accomodate the stove.

Got it, I just looked again. When do we make a fire?

Barring any shipment issues, I am planning on lighting a small fire tomorrow evening! Full fire likely Friday after a couple break in fires. Though I must admit im almost considering skipping the break in fires and going right for it.

In a steel stove all you need to do is drive out any moisture in the firebrick. You can do a small break in fire with just some kindling a a few 2-3" sticks. Let that go out and give the stove an hour or two to cool down. Then do a medium sized burn with 3-4" splits and let it burn out. The next fire can be a full load.

Break in fires are going to make a little stink with the curing of the paint on the stove. This will happen some every time you get the stove hotter for some time.

Any chance you still have some excess liner sticking out the chimney up on the roof? If so, you could maybe lower more of it down the chimney and then cut off the bad section of flex liner with all the dings. I had about five feet of extra liner when I did my installation is why I ask.

Any chance you still have some excess liner sticking out the chimney up on the roof? If so, you could maybe lower more of it down the chimney and then cut off the bad section of flex liner with all the dings. I had about five feet of extra liner when I did my installation is why I ask.

No I do not, I had already cut it to length. It looks like that only about 7 -10 inches of the liner below the block off plate will be used so it shouldnt be an issue.

Well now that I found out the delivery of the insert is delayed.... I was considering adding some insulation to the fireplace walls with perhaps metal sheeting to cover it. I really only have about 1.5 inches to play with. I know for insulating purposes its a good idea, I just dont want to damage the unit somehow by closing the clearances to their minimum and essentially increasing the heat all around the insert. Any thoughts?

The Summit has an outer casing, not much need for insulating the old firebox.

Do yourself a favor and shine a flashlight up into that liner to ensure you have not done any internal damage. You may need to knock some of those dents out. Sometimes the inner flanges can be bent into the interior and may cause some creosote traps.

Do yourself a favor and shine a flashlight up into that liner to ensure you have not done any internal damage. You may need to knock some of those dents out. Sometimes the inner flanges can be bent into the interior and may cause some creosote traps.

That's a good heads up and I did that immediately that night. I also did a closer inspection and they are not as serious as the picture makes them seem. About as indented as you would expect if you bumped it against a wall or something. I am also going to wrap the pipe with some of the insulation I had removed and clamp it on to provide another layer of barrier just in case.

Hog, I see you have the same insert. I was curious if you used furnace cement on the connections between the liner and adapter as well as the adapter to the stove?
I did use furnace cement around the mating of the adapter to the stove outlet, don't waste your time, it dries, hardens, then falls out/off. When I swapped inserts, I didn't bother the second time. All is fine.

Got it, I just looked again. When do we make a fire?

Ok so here are the final photos with fire! Oh and the heat is great after the first 3/4 full load (73 in the house with temps in the high teens low 20's). After attaching the liner, I then put a strip of cement on the areas that were dinged during installation, then wrapped the remaining pipe with the liner insulation I had cut off before. Then had a couple small fires and last night had a 3/4 full load, and definitely got some stink and smoke for the first hour, all good now!

Also, had to do some minor decorative trim removal to accommodate the width of the surround. Going to replace with some half round trim soon.

IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1438.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fsappo
Great work. That's a good looking unit. Nice clean lines. Now you need some real cold weather and put it to the test

Very clean installation. I think you're going to love that new heater. It looks great. The hearth of course needs an extension right away or at least a proper hearth extension pad in front of the stove.

Either extend the hearth, or get yourself a hearth rug. That wood floor is gonna get burn spots.
Congrats on the install, should give you plenty of heat. Enjoy

Extend the hearth. If you read the label on hearth rugs they are only fire rated the same as carpet. Bought exactly one. And an ember popped out on it and put the only burn hole in this 30 year old carpet. It went to the landfill.

Either extend the hearth, or get yourself a hearth rug. That wood floor is gonna get burn spots.
Congrats on the install, should give you plenty of heat. Enjoy

I have a hearth rug in front of it now just not in the picture. Next season I will likely extend the hearth out. Any recommendations? I'm looking at perhaps some granite.Though the black granite now gets hot!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.