PE Summit Insert is smokey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frjohnv

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2009
Central CT
I have had a PE Summit Insert for three years. Last year I had a full liner installed in the chimney and everything burned well. This year I have nothing but smokey fires with a lot of creosote build up on the glass. I had the chimney swept at the beginning of the season. My wood is a combination of maple and oak and is seasoned for at least a year. I have bought wood from the same supplier for the past three years.

If I open the door a crack, I can get a higher burn. I have read a few posts about smokey fires. The answers seem to be either the wood is too wet or the chimney needs to be cleaned. Is there anyway to checked the draft on the stove?

My chimney is about 35 feet high and the last 20 feet is free standing so cleaning from the top is out of the question.

Any suggestions?

pull out the baffle and clean from the bottom w/ flex rods.... also to consider: is there a cap on the liner? is it the one that came w/ the liner? often the standard liner cap is made like those for a prefab chimney: it has spark guard strips and/or mesh around it. this catches alot of flyash and soot bits and can heavily restrict the draft, even thought the stack itself is clean. i have swept alot of chimney setups like yours over the years, and usually a clogged cap is the reason for the smoke back (provided the wood is good and seasoned and the baffle is installed correctly.) also, if you had the chimney swept: I would verify the sweep didn't leave a pile of soot on top of your baffle... If he didn't take it out when he swept it this could be a factor as well.

summit said:
pull out the baffle and clean from the bottom w/ flex rods.... also to consider: is there a cap on the liner? is it the one that came w/ the liner? often the standard liner cap is made like those for a prefab chimney: it has spark guard strips and/or mesh around it. this catches alot of flyash and soot bits and can heavily restrict the draft, even thought the stack itself is clean. i have swept alot of chimney setups like yours over the years, and usually a clogged cap is the reason for the smoke back (provided the wood is good and seasoned and the baffle is installed correctly.) also, if you had the chimney swept: I would verify the sweep didn't leave a pile of soot on top of your baffle... If he didn't take it out when he swept it this could be a factor as well.

+1.....
its either the wood, or the cap.... or like he said the sweep guy didnt clean it right... if you are going on 3 yrs and now there is a problem its one of those 3.... is the oak on it?

summit said:

There is a cap on the liner. It has a mesh around it.

When the chimney was swept, the sweep removed the baffle.

I think my next step is to get my sweep back out and have him make sure that he runs the brush all the way up to the cap.

Can I use the liner without a cap or should I get a different cap installed?

If,,,,as you have stated when you crack the door and the fire and draft takes off, IMHO, this RULES OUT, a clogged cap or stack. And we are assuming you are not confusing fully open vs fully closed with your air control.

Approach this logically, and from what you have written, again in my opinion, its most likely the wood. The other easy thing to do, is remove the manifold boost plate (it lifts out) inside the front door, and clean out the accumulated ash as this may be a slight restriction to the airflow into your stove.

The other question I would have, or suggest but doubt it is an issue, is to crack a window or door with the primary air fully open, and see if that drastically changes anything, if you had new windows, caulking or any other work to the house that may have "tightened up the house" this may be a restriction to airflow into the stove.

The symptoms strongly suggest that the wood is the issue. Take a couple of the larger pieces of wood and split them in half. Place the freshly split surface up against your cheek. If it feels cool and damp, that is the culprit.

To check the cap, can you get a pair of of decent binoculars and look at it?

Though most likely completely unrelated - is the sweep replacing the baffle gasket each time the baffle is pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.