PE Summit LE -vs- Hearthstone Mansfield, not as simple as it seems...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ProGun007

Nov 22, 2023
Lewisburg PA
First time poster, 3-month lurker. There's so much information on here, " 🎶but I still haven't found what I'm looking for🎶"

I've found myself in a bit of a pickle. I used to just burn through 6-7 cords in this old Huntsman without batting an eye. Wood's cheap, I have two boys to split it. Don't care, just pile it in there. Now, the situation has changed. For numerous reasons, I need to conserve wood and I need a stove with a long (as reasonably possible) burn time.

My two best options are:

1) The closest dealer with great customer service (Mennonites) has a PE Summit LE, with ash pan and tax for $4039. No EPA tax rebate.

2) Dealer 45 minutes away with Hearthstone Mansfield with ash pan and tax for $5109 - 30% rebate = $3576

I could use the tax rebate and would like to get the higher end Hearthstone stove and save almost $500. However, I'm a little concerned with how finicky it might be given my setup. Single wall stove pipe going into almost 25' of 6" clay, exterior chimney. If I needed to make adjustments to get the stove to work, I'm certain the PE dealer would help fix the problem.

Also, with the stove being in the basement, I have about 2500 sq/ft of old farm house to heat and I really don't know which one would do a better job.

Looking for 3rd party, objective input.

tempImagegW7Qx0.jpg tempImageR32tYw.jpg

I suppose I could go with a BK Princess, as the dealer with the Hearthstone has those as well, but I'm not sure it'd be big enough. If I could run an 8" flue, the BK King would be my choice!

If it were me, I'd put my money into insulating the basement walls first. That will pay off regardless of stove choice. Right now about a third of the wood being burned is going to heat the earth around the basement walls. That's one cord out of three to heat Mother Nature. Then, consider getting a large Drolet (Myriad III or Legend III) or Englander 32-NC stove. It will qualify for the tax credit and will be under $2000.

If it were me, I'd put my money into insulating the basement walls first. That will pay off regardless of stove choice. Right now about a third of the wood being burned is going to heat the earth around the basement walls. That's one cord out of three to heat Mother Nature. Then, consider getting a large Drolet (Myriad III or Legend III) or Englander 32-NC stove. It will qualify for the tax credit and will be under $2000.
Insulating the walls is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I don't think there's any local support for those stoves.

Drolet can be bought factory direct. They are value stoves, but well made. There are many happy owners here. It's hard to beat them for price/performance. If you are looking for an upgrade, the Osburn 3500 has better trim and a c-cast baffle instead of fiberboard.
The venerable Englander 32-NC is the newer version of the 30-NC. It is a humble workhorse and a strong heater with several owners here.
The PE Summit is a strong and simple stove. We are burning the Alderlea T6 which is the cast iron clad version with the Summit firebox.

Reactions: ProGun007