Pear tree wood: BTU?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We just finished taking down 2 pear trees. Is the wood worth anything for btu's?

Shari

Almost all fruitwood is high in BTU.

I take Pear wood anytime that I can get it. It burns nicely, ignites easily and throws good heat. I have a "standing" deal with a local cemetary that I can take any that cracks and falls, and that seems to be pretty often. It's good stuff...

Like many of the fruit woods, it's prized as a cooking/smoking wood. Fruits generally are dense woods, high in BTU content, kind of a hassle to process (because of all the branching), and will take some time to season (so much of the branch wood stays in rounds). But they burn well. Rick

I've got a neighbor with a big dead apple tree that if felled will not cause damage. I'm going to ask if they'd like it dissappear....

Well, I hauled off all the small branches today. Still have to fell the trunks but sounds like I will keep at least the trunks. The branches were so rotten they weren't worth hanging on to. Thanks for the comments - I didn't find a BTU chart for pear so that's why I asked.

Shari

Depends. Is the partridge still in it?

No partridge and no other bird nests - I checked before cutting them down. I HATE when trees are cut down when birds are still nesting in them.

Some years ago the land behind us was cleared for development. This happened in the Spring when birds were nesting. The sounds the birds made when the trees were down in no way were their normal 'song'.

Shari

Shari said:
No partridge and no other bird nests - I checked before cutting them down. I HATE when trees are cut down when birds are still nesting in them.

Some years ago the land behind us was cleared for development. This happened in the Spring when birds were nesting. The sounds the birds made when the trees were down in no way were their normal 'song'.

Shari

I made that mistake last year . . . cutting down some dead wood near the house and when I took down a small cherry a nest with a few young chickadees in it came down. One bird hopped/flew away, but another just laid there with a crooked neck. I know I'm a grown man and I should be tough and it was "only" a chickadee, but I felt so bad . . .

The good news is that there is a bird rehab place a couple towns away . . . I called them up and we brought the bird to them . . . a few weeks later we learned that the chickadee had made a full recovery.

And this is why I'm not cutting any trees right now . . . plenty of other work to do around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.