Pecan and oak scrounge with updated pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
I've tried searching all the btu charts, but can't seem to find pecan on any. How is pecan compared to red oak? I've got 2 trees and need to decide between which one I'm going to get next. The other one may be gone after I get though with the first so I want to get the best.

not sure but I would grab the oak first unless the pecan is a lot bigger :) or just get greedy and take both ;)

If I'm not mistaken Pecan is something of a cousin to Hickory... Though in the attached chart that does list Pecan, it places it on par with Red Oak. Were it me, I've got so much Red Oak I'd take the Pecan just cause it's something different.

Attachments

• fuelwood_char.jpg
    fuelwood_char.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 802
This morning I noticed 3 trees pushed over by a bulldozer on a site in the industrial park. So I went and asked and they said, first come first serve. So I went back and got my saw and went to cutting the pecan first. They came and got me and asked if I could cut up an oak that was in their way first. I went and they had a big ole Husky with a 30" or so bar and was cutting it for me. So I loaded two loads before they had to get back to dozing and grading. I cut up a lot of trunk but everything was too heavy. So they brought a loader over and loaded it in my bed. So 3 good loads of Oak not sure if it's red or white because it isnt rotted like most red around here. Then I posted this post because I wasn't sure which one to get. I went back and there was already someone on the other oak so I resumed cutting the pecan. I got a decent load on my truck but to be honest, this is my last load for today. If it's there tomorrow then I'll finish it up. I got most of the big limbs that wern't crushed into the ground. I'm a pretty picky wood scrounger when there is so much to be had. Now I've got to start working on these piles. Overall a great scrounging day with 4 good sized truckloads. Once I get it bucked then I may just rent a splitter because I've got a lot of trunk pieces from a previous scrounge I'd like to just split. The first picture is of the oak scrounge minus the trunk pieces (they're on the other side with the rest of the trunks). Second is the truckload of pecan.

Attachments

• oak-pile.jpg
    oak-pile.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 766
  • pecan-pile.jpg
    pecan-pile.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 770
^I sure do like what ya did to your truck drdoct.

Is that camo paint on your truck? Pretty cool, who did the artwork??

It's a vinyl wrap almost like a shelf paper type thing. It's about 5 yrs old and is fading and starting to peel on the top where the sun hits it.

Pecan it tough to split, its very stringy for lack of a better term. The oak will be easier to process, especialy if you don't have a log splitter

If it were me, I would grab the Pecan and save it for BBQ and grilling. But that's just my humble opinion!

I do use pecan on my pork when BBQing but not a face cord or so of it. I'm going to rent a splitter because I've got lots of big trunks with lots of crotches that will need a little hydraulic pressure. My dad is saving a few of the straighter pieces to make something out of it furniture wise.

Pecan is a type of hickory, so I would expect it to have a lot of BTUs packed into dense wood. Pecan and all other hickorys are classified in one genus, indicating that they are all closely related. if you're in a position to selectively scrounge Red Oak or Pecan, I'd say you're doing alright either way.

pecan great in the smoker!

Wow! What a find! And they helped too. Some guys have all the luck! Congratulations.

And I too really like the truck. I have thought about putting that on our atv too but haven't yet. It won't help the atv but it does look nice.

Good score on the wood. I have never burned pecan before but if it is stringy than it might indeed be related to the hickories.

Pecan 28.3 mill btu/cord, Southern Red 25.3 and this was taken from a table that states 12% moisture content in the "New Woodburners Handbook".

Cool .. the wood matches the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.