Pecan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric Minnis

Dec 25, 2020
NC
Split about a half cord of pecan today. Happy to get it as I understand it seasons in about half the time as red oak. I was glad to not be using the splitting axe as it was some gnarly stuff. The 37 ton splitter struggled with a few pieces. We had a storm that damaged one tree and some other branches that needed to be cut off others.
We have about 50 pecan trees in a grove on our farm so just keeping up with pruning results in a bit of pecan for the stove.
How is it to burn? Hoping to have it seasoned enough for next year.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I like pecan on the rare occasions I've burned it.

Year's ago when I worked at a local cabinet shop we would get ruff sawed pecan in. We were told that it could up to 20% hickory. It's hard to tell the difference in the two when finished.
I like to use it in the smoker.

Most people like to use it in woodworking rather than burn it, but the wood should be very dense.

When I lived in central Georgia I lived in a 10 acre pecan grove. The nuts would ding my car when the fell in Autumn.
I used it quite a bit in the smoker, smoking wild hog hams. Never used it in a wood stove.

Split about a half cord of pecan today. Happy to get it as I understand it seasons in about half the time as red oak. I was glad to not be using the splitting axe as it was some gnarly stuff. The 37 ton splitter struggled with a few pieces. We had a storm that damaged one tree and some other branches that needed to be cut off others.
We have about 50 pecan trees in a grove on our farm so just keeping up with pruning results in a bit of pecan for the stove.
How is it to burn? Hoping to have it seasoned enough for next year.
Reviving this thread to see how that Pecan burned? I'm completely new to woodstoves and haven't even done my intial burns yet; however, I just came into some spilt, seasoned pecan wood and want to use it to get things started. I'm going to moisture test it tomorrow but curious if it's good for woodstoves.

It is a relative of hickory it should be great in a wood stove.

Reactions: Jason79er