PEERLESS WB-03-110 BURNING RICH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
My peerless WB-03-110-WPC is burning rich I think?

I have a stronger smell of heating fuel coming from it this year more then ever.
Furnace was cleaned in the fall and have burned about 50 gallons of oil this year (we have a new supplier of oil as well)
I check the inside of the flue through the draft damper and there is a light coating of black carbon and very little sulfur streaks.
Viewing the burn chamber through the 4" diameter hole in the front (covered by a swinging door) the stove is clean inside but there is the coating of black soot or carbon.

Wondering if I should open the air intakes on the Beckett burner that are currently at 7 and get a little more air in for combustion.

It sounds like it is too rich. In my oil furnace opening the air a little would help and I would try that first but is it possible in cleaning that the igniter or nozzle were mis-aligned? There is a possibility oil is dropping/spraying to the bottom or sides of the pot and you are not getting a clean burn. Some times all you have to do is rotate the igniter to adjust the spark so the spray/mist comes into better contact with it.

Just monitored a start up and burn through the 4” diameter hole in the front and the peerless appears to burn with a very full flame, I will try opening the air just a bit, I did notice when I replaced the nozzle it was wet on the bottom but it is like that every year I replace it. will tweak the air open a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.