Pellet boiler in conjunction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just happened to be on Forest Ave, so I thought I'd drop in to Evergreen to learn a bit more about the Pinnacle. Well, it's a PapaJohns now. Funny thing is there's a Revision Heat office right behind where Evergreen used to be at 1037 Forest, and they carry Kedels. Say they sold 40 this year.
Right out back connected to the same building is Inter phase Energy, the importers of Kedel... there were Models stacked to the ceiling when I was last there in Jun since they just got a new shipment and I was picking mine up. The Inter phase and Revision folks are very nice and knowledgeable! Lots of good info at that building.

Reactions: chken
Right out back connected to the same building is Inter phase Energy, the importers of Kedel... there were Models stacked to the ceiling when I was last there in Jun since they just got a new shipment and I was picking mine up. The Inter phase and Revision folks are very nice and knowledgeable! Lots of good info at that building.
That's kind of nice to have the importer in our State. That's not often the case.

Just happened to be on Forest Ave, so I thought I'd drop in to Evergreen to learn a bit more about the Pinnacle. Well, it's a PapaJohns now. Funny thing is there's a Revision Heat office right behind where Evergreen used to be at 1037 Forest, and they carry Kedels. Say they sold 40 this year.

Mark is over by Smiling Hill Farm now. Give him a call, he is a GREAT guy!!! So glad I bought from him. Mark sold well over 100 back in 2008 when I got mine ~ he knows his stuff.

Reactions: chken
Mark is over by Smiling Hill Farm now. Give him a call, he is a GREAT guy!!! So glad I bought from him. Mark sold well over 100 back in 2008 when I got mine ~ he knows his stuff.
You mean the dairy? He's working there, or his operation is near there?

I have a pellet boiler and and an oil boiler connected in parallel to a 100 gallon Triangle Tube DHW tank. Both boilers are separated by check valves and the pellet boiler has priority. I connected the T-T contacts on the oil boiler's aquastat to the snap switch on the thermostat of the DWH tank and can simply adjust the temperature at which the tank switch fires up the oil. It's very simple and works flawlessly. no manual valves and all automatic.
Could you possibly explain a little more please? Thinking it through, my indirect tank aquastat closes and fires up a zone circulator which runs until the oil boiler's circulating water gets below its aquatstat setpoint, which then causes the boiler burner to ignite.
I also bought and had installed an electric hot water heater (50 gal) which is used as storage when I am burning pellets, and is my source for DHW when I am not. That way I can just the oil and pellet boilers down. I didn't notice a difference in my electric usage. This spring/summer I think I will replace it with a hybrid since I run a dehumidifier down in the basement anyway.
I don't understand this either. Since the electric water heater is used as storage when the pellet boiler is running, does that mean that boiler water is running through the shell side rather than the tubes? That's potable water. Do you have to flush it out when you switch over?

Sorry for what are probably dumb questions.

If you are at work on a very cold day...what happens if your pellet boiler shuts down as you leave...(what ever scenario you choose) will you come home to a disaster? My point is ...Will your setup protect its self?? For me ...I can in less then a minute (New York minute) flip 3 ball valves and nothing else (being as its series all controls are shared) and I'm completely off my pellet boiler. More importantly, my set-up will "seamlessly switch to oil in the event of a pellet boiler problem at absolutely no cost to its efficiency.
If it's running on oil, are there stack losses through your pellet boiler stack, since there is not automatic damper>

I don't understand this either. Since the electric water heater is used as storage when the pellet boiler is running, does that mean that boiler water is running through the shell side rather than the tubes? That's potable water. Do you have to flush it out when you switch over?

It is just for DHW, just when burning pellets it isn't really being heated by electric, since the water is going in heated already.

Is this a solar water heater with an indirect coil as well as electric element?. The water circulated through the boiler isn't potable, right, and then it goes to the electric water heater? I still don't get it.

Is this a solar water heater with an indirect coil as well as electric element?. The water circulated through the boiler isn't potable, right, and then it goes to the electric water heater? I still don't get it.

My pellet boiler provides both DHW and HW for my baseboard heat, just like my oil boiler. The heated DHW from the pellet boiler goes into the electric water heater when the pellet boiler is on. When the pellet boiler is off, the electric water heater does the job itself.

I haven't read the entire thread but here's what I would do.

Connect your pellet boiler in parellel with your propane bolier but keep them on separate thermostats. Keep the propane thermostat set 10 degrees below the thermostat for the pellet boiler. The propane will only come on if the temperature in your house drops 10 degrees below your pellet boiler setting which should keep your house safe in the event you run out of pellets while away.

I do this at my house. I have a free standing pellet stove but it works the same way.

So I did study my south side deck area, and I realize with a little create adaptation of my utility room, I could put in a pellet boiler direct vent 12" from the deck, far enough from the ground and far enough from any operable windows. That would allow me to keep my existing Buderus oil boiler, and pipe it in serial.

Any of you New England PB105 owners with the external 1500lb hoppers qualify for the $5000 or $6000 rebates in ME/NH/VT? Has anyone tried the HF60?

I would not direct vent a wood boiler IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.