pellet boiler information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffspeed

Dec 14, 2009
Rome, N.Y.
I wanted to put in a wood stove to cut my heat bill. But I only have one working arm and that would make it kind of hard to cut and split wood. I looked at a pellet stove, I though that would be easier. But from reading all the post about cleaning and maintenance that won't work either. Do pellet boilers need a lot of cleaning and maintenance like a pellet stove, every two or three days.

I have a Gassifier Boiler at home, but at work we just built a new building, 10,000 sq.ft. warehouse/office. We heat it with (2) Tarm Pellet boilers (most of the time just 1 boiler is running, second is for 0* and below). I am surprised at how little maintenance they do need. We just had a 3-day weekend with no attending. This AM I spent about 1 min. hoeing out ash. Typically once a week we do a good cleaning with a vacum, plus turn the turbulator, this is a 2 hand job. Once this winter we did use brushes to clean the heat exchanger this is a 2 hand job.

Hope this helps.

I spend about 1/2 hour per month cleaning my PB105 and about 3 hours at the end of the season.

You might want to look at the Biobrick solution. I buy my parents a ton at the begining of the season, then burn the rest. Boilers are expensive, and almost always backed up by a seperate gas/oil boiler.

i spend at least two hours per ton with maintenance issues - but i work it hard

you may benefit more from conservation vs conversion. Modern condensing boilers can be installed for far less than a good pellet/ corn appliance and will not burden you with labor

If you're willing to go high end, there are pellet boilers that offer nearly as much automation as a fossil fuel boiler. Self feeding, self cleaning, self igniting... simply remove the ash hod a few times per season and empty it. With proper pellet storage, you can load up once per season, set the thermostat and pretty much forget it.

The biobrick solution is definitely viable. They burn fantastic in a gasifier, and offer more ease of use than traditional cordwood.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.