Pellet Buying Co-Op

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fedtime

Feeling the Heat
Sep 13, 2009
Down East Canada
Does anyone have any tips on forming a pellet buying co-op?

I've had it with the lack of competition in this part of Canada and figure if I don't take the bull by the horns, I should stop complaining about the insane prices we pay. Why is it that Canadian made pellets sell for less in the USA? Volume plays a role no doubt, but $6.50 per bag at the start of last winter in Halifax? Even $6.00 is way too high. We have three pellet choices: Eastern Embers, Cozy and LG and, go figure, they were priced the same almost all winter. EE sets the price, and the others fall in line, from what I can see.

I figure if I can get a group together that will purchase 30 or 40 tons at a time, that should be a good start. Or is this number way too low? What would be a good target to get a decent price on pellets?

What are the ups and downs? Any suggestions on how to approach suppliers? Am I in dream land on this?

fedtime said:
Does anyone have any tips on forming a pellet buying co-op?

I've had it with the lack of competition in this part of Canada and figure if I don't take the bull by the horns, I should stop complaining about the insane prices we pay. Why is it that Canadian made pellets sell for less in the USA? Volume plays a role no doubt, but $6.50 per bag at the start of last winter in Halifax? Even $6.00 is way too high. We have three pellet choices: Eastern Embers, Cozy and LG and, go figure, they were priced the same almost all winter. EE sets the price, and the others fall in line, from what I can see.

I figure if I can get a group together that will purchase 30 or 40 tons at a time, that should be a good start. Or is this number way too low? What would be a good target to get a decent price on pellets?

What are the ups and downs? Any suggestions on how to approach suppliers? Am I in dream land on this?

People that I have talked to have said it's not too hard to do. Generally, you'll need to commit to at least 1, usually 2 trailer loads, at around 23 ton / trailer. If you can get enough people, start contacting a few manufacturers, see what they'll do for ya. Let 'em know your shopping. Be aware, you'll probably need a forklift, and someone that can operate it.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Anyone in or around Halifax interested in this? Be warned: I'm told (Piercy's) that the price in the fall will be $6.49 per bag again. Let's do this and make things better for pellet stove owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.