1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet choices needed

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Paul Raz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    I picked up a few bags of North American and Hearthsides. So far this year I've been burning just Fireside Ultras and DryCreek.
    I'm quite shocked how stinky the North American's are. I mean smell - they really stink.
    Maybe this should be a new thread - best smelling pellets or something.
    While I'm at it I may as well say the Hearthsides are the nicest smelling I've come across so far.
    How do they burn ? No idea...if they burn its pretty good to me.
    Maybe JT can add a column to his xls sheets on smell factor. But do we trust him to add that oh so important bit of data ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I was pleasantly surprised by the Hearthsides
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    NA's smelled like crayons to me. The review on the other site had it in the comments. Got heckled for saying it though! Glad you say they stink bad too!

Can you dicribe the smell?
  4. hockeypuck

hockeypuck Burning Hunk

Loc:
    south central NH
    Upon further review the Hearthsides are much better than the Fireside Ultra's or GreenSupreames and at the same price. Burn much cleaner than the others. Still messing around with my air/fuel rates, but the HearthSides are good. Went out to buy another 6 bags to add to the too many that I have already. Wish I did not have the 20 or so bags of the forementioned...
  5. Hdhogger

Hdhogger Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    They do smell a little waxy. I heard they're sealed with canola oil wich gives of the odor. I'm burning in my warehouse so no biggy here. They're good for $200. per ton.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Seems this year, the Presto's are doing pretty well. Otherwise, stay away from the blue-lettered bag.

EDIT: Stay away from the upper left bag.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I'm wondering if they have changed too? I was hoping someone that has them local could try some and report for us. I only have Liggies green and PTL local. Just curious tis all!
  8. kykel

kykel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long Island
    Maybe if you add that Empress that your hiding to your signature you might get a better response. :)
  9. Cleetussnow

Cleetussnow Member

Loc:
    Westchester, ny
    I have been happily burning the gs, but the other pellets in my sig so for do have more heat output.

I haven't heard my much about white lightening on this board, but those and cubes will be my go to pellets when the cold comes.

Local hardware has Prestos for get this $7 per bag. I might pull out a coupon and try some, but not going to pay 7 for anything.
  10. kykel

kykel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long Island
    You certainly have enough pellets to run two stoves.
  11. Hdhogger

Hdhogger Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Burning GS since I fired the stove up. Heating 3000 Sq. Ft. assisted by Jotul 602 wood stove. Cab50 is cycling as needed Good heat, Vac once a week I have no complaints for this time of year.