PELLET CO-OP UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
just got a call from pelletsales.com She told me it would be possible to get a drop shipment done at a minimum of 20 tons . They would include the fork-lift to unload . Could we possibly get 5-6 people in certain areas to buy 4-5 tons each ? I told her i was in central maine along the 95 corridor . She left a message telling me she is currently working out the price of fuel. Anyone interested in this should e me at [email protected] . We could discuss this further and look into the possibilities . Like having them drop it when there will be a couple days of good weather so's we can make couple/several trips . I think there is flexibility now that their season is winding down . Let's hear some thoughts . Muss

Hi Bubb, I know but this was asking about the minimum amount . I don't have anyone in my area on this site but i'm trying to throw it out there to folks who do not want to shop or support big box stores is all . Although it would be nice to hook up with some people in my area . I think the co-op idea is quite feasible & i think they [pelletsales] might be a little more flexible than what they have posted . Who knows. I'm trying to give back to this site what i have gotten . Thanks for your input ;-) Muss

muss said:
Hi Bubb, I know but this was asking about the minimum amount . I don't have anyone in my area on this site but i'm trying to throw it out there to folks who do not want to shop or support big box stores is all . Although it would be nice to hook up with some people in my area . I think the co-op idea is quite feasible & i think they [pelletsales] might be a little more flexible than what they have posted . Who knows. I'm trying to give back to this site what i have gotten . Thanks for your input ;-) Muss

It looks like a good deal for you true Northeasties. The fuel cost kills the deal for me here in Maryland despite being in their service area. Broken down, it would add $16.50 / ton if we did the co-op thing with 20 tons. However, their pellets are as much as $40 more expensive than our current market's prices. What is your experience with the pricing? Are they competitive to the stores in the area or are they cheaper than the stores?

muss said:
just got a call from pelletsales.com She told me it would be possible to get a drop shipment done at a minimum of 20 tons . They would include the fork-lift to unload . Could we possibly get 5-6 people in certain areas to buy 4-5 tons each ? I told her i was in central maine along the 95 corridor . She left a message telling me she is currently working out the price of fuel. Anyone interested in this should e me at [email protected] . We could discuss this further and look into the possibilities . Like having them drop it when there will be a couple days of good weather so's we can make couple/several trips . I think there is flexibility now that their season is winding down . Let's hear some thoughts . Muss

I got a feeling they're going to want a drop fee for each location they stop the truck and untag the loader. This may bring your per ton price up to or more than what dealers are asking. To get a tractor trailer into some neighborhoods and turned around is gonna be a problem and dispatchers know this. Their season is 365 so I wouldn't count on flexibility. Your probably going to recieve the load on their schedule because it will be a back haul through a load broker.

email from pelletsales this past winter about shipment drops.

"We’ve very happy to have you as a returning customer!
How this would work best for everyone receiving pellets is if either we
could drop all fuel in one location, or if they live close enough so that
the driver didn’t have to put the forklift back on the truck and drive to
the next location. If he does have to put the forklift back on then we’ll
have to charge for a separate delivery.

I hope this answered your question, and please feel free to contact me with
any other questions you may have. "

EDIT: They do not leave the trailer behind

I ain't talking about leaving the trailer . My idea was to drop off at one point . Like on someone's land from this site or a neighbor . Did i mention that was 20 min not max . If i had people in my area, i wouldn't hesitate to see what could be worked out . I didn't write the idea in stone folks, just something to try & give back to this site :down: , Muss

muss said:
I ain't talking about leaving the trailer . My idea was to drop off at one point . Like on someone's land from this site or a neighbor . Did i mention that was 20 min not max . If i had people in my area, i wouldn't hesitate to see what could be worked out . I didn't write the idea in stone folks, just something to try & give back to this site :down: , Muss

Don't fret muss!
It is a good idea if you can find enough people to go in with ya
and they all have a truck to get them.

Well, the woman said to call her & she would give me a quote . Her name is Darlene . On my message machine she told me they could deliver a min of 20 tons in my area & would include the forklift . I haven't called her back yet . She said she was also working on a quote to include fuel used . She seemed very nice & it's a NH # to call . If anyone is interested , say within 30 or so mile radius of Waterville-Skowhegan Rt 95 corridor, i'd jump on it in a minute . It looks to me like they carry good pellets & could probably work out a good if not great deal to everyone's satisfaction . Nothing ventured then nothing gained . I myself would rather by from them than box stores, but that's me . Muss

I'm in Farmington and just started up a Pinnical PB-150 boiler to heat my apartment houses. I will use 10 ton more or less per year. I have been talking to several other landlords and if there was enough interest in the local landlord Asso. I think it would be feasible to buy a box trailer and hire a trucker to get a load when we need one and either store it in silos or store it in the trailer box. then we could hire a local guy to do deliveries in bulk.

A couple years ago I called the Lac Megantic mill and asked them the price for a load like this and they quoted $100/ ton plus trucking. That was two or three years ago. I think that buying bulk at the right time of year could save a group of people a lot of money.

Hey Rich, they come wrapped pretty tight for outside storing . Kinda like shrinkwrap , Muss

Rich said:
I'm in Farmington and just started up a Pinnical PB-150 boiler to heat my apartment houses. I will use 10 ton more or less per year. I have been talking to several other landlords and if there was enough interest in the local landlord Asso. I think it would be feasible to buy a box trailer and hire a trucker to get a load when we need one and either store it in silos or store it in the trailer box. then we could hire a local guy to do deliveries in bulk.

A couple years ago I called the Lac Megantic mill and asked them the price for a load like this and they quoted $100/ ton plus trucking. That was two or three years ago. I think that buying bulk at the right time of year could save a group of people a lot of money.
rich
check with the school system. i think the boiler at the bus garage is burning pellets from canada at around $160/ton/bulk

I live in Waterville would be interested, do you know how they compare to Corinth Premium wood Pellets? These are the best that I've used so far. I'll keep up with this post to get up dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.