Pellet Delivery charges?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstah

Nov 4, 2008
Central Ma
I see that one of the site's ******** (Whoops. Make that ADVERTISER...my bad) has pellets available for my zipcode in central mass, priced at $289/ton.
So prices are coming down, right?...cuz prices around here were $320-$345/ton not very long ago.
They have a delivery charge. Ok. I understand that.

BUT...(here comes the butt monkey)...

They charge a $40 delivery charge on EACH TON. That's not really a delivery charge, unless they're only delivering 1 ton at a time, in which case they really shouldn't be in the pellet business.

If I order 3 tons, does anyone think they're going to make 3 trips?

Won't be buying any pellets from them.

Jim

Hey Jim, i pre-bought 5 tons in may at $219 & the guy had the seeds to charge delivery of $30 for each ton & they were delivered all at once . Only 3 towns down from me. But yeah the pellets will be dropping sharply after the holidays cause they'll have caught with demand by then Muss

muss said:
Hey Jim, i pre-bought 5 tons in may at $219 & the guy had the seeds to charge delivery of $30 for each ton & they were delivered all at once . Only 3 towns down from me. But yeah the pellets will be dropping sharply after the holidays cause they'll have caught with demand by then Muss

That charge is a little high but not out of line. We do some delivery but mainly to good customers. You have to remember all the expenses that go along with delivery. This is not a pizza. Just ask me what expenses I have with vehicles and we will go from there. I do feel that I am going to cut down on delivery for next year. It is not just a fuel issue.

Eric

Eric,
As I said in the post...I understand a delivery charge, and all of the expenses that go with that.
But those expenses don't go up when you deliver 3X to the same address. It may cost $40 to deliver the first ton on that truck, but it sure doesn't cost an extra $40 for the subsequent tons. Thats just hiding the true price that they're charging for the product, in my mind.

Jim

Eric, i think your vehicle maitenance should be collateral damage . I mean, pizza shops don't bang us for their vehicle upkeep now do they ? Muss ;-)

Lobstah said:
Eric,
As I said in the post...I understand a delivery charge, and all of the expenses that go with that.
But those expenses don't go up when you deliver 3X to the same address. It may cost $40 to deliver the first ton on that truck, but it sure doesn't cost an extra $40 for the subsequent tons. Thats just hiding the true price that they're charging for the product, in my mind.

Jim

I couldn't agree more and that's the reason the advertiser you speak of didn't get my business. The place I buy mine from charged $90 total for a delivery of 1-12 tons.

Someone else mentioned that the Home Despot in Bellingham had pellets at $290. Might give them a call. I have 1ton left, but could only buy 1.4 tons when I bought them, as that's all the dealer would sell on a single order. Don't really care to go back to them unless I have to, only because it just doesn't make sense to be buying pellets from British Columbia while living on the east coast.

Jim

wear and tear on thir trucks, fork lift, gas, pay for the guy to do it.

im in the same boat as to why it must be $30 for each ton...how about 50 for all?

reasons like this i use my bro in laws 1 ton and just help him get his at the same time.

muss said:
Eric, i think your vehicle maitenance should be collateral damage . I mean, pizza shops don't bang us for their vehicle upkeep now do they ? Muss ;-)

Not just vehicle maint. Heavy equipment is a lot more, plates and permits are more. Plates for my semi are $2,000 a yr for apportion plates. Insurance for a commercial truck than for a private truck. Workers comp. on the employees.

Eric

"wear and tear on thir trucks, fork lift, gas, pay for the guy to do it."
All reasonable expenses...Couldn't agree more.

But lets not forget that they're also making money on the pellets.

I'll be doing the same thing...taking a friends truck somewhere to pick up my own. If that place would drop 2 tons here for a single charge, they'd have had my business.

Jim

Lobstah said:
Someone else mentioned that the Home Despot in Bellingham had pellets at $290. Might give them a call. I have 1ton left, but could only buy 1.4 tons when I bought them, as that's all the dealer would sell on a single order. Don't really care to go back to them unless I have to, only because it just doesn't make sense to be buying pellets from British Columbia while living on the east coast.

Jim

Yes, the Bellingham HD has lots of pellets as of Monday when I was there. However, these were stored outside and we had torrential rains on Sunday. The two+ open tons that were inside the garden shop were uncovered and all the bags (I moved a few bags around and checked) were completely soaked. A few bags were torn open too - looked like forklift damage. Caveat emptor....

Regarding delivery, I had all the materials to have my 16' x 20' deck built and HD charged me a flat fee of $55. It took quite a while to unload all the stuff, too. My local lumber yard charged about the same flat fee when I built my 10' x 16' shed as well. So, why does a certain online pellet retailer quote a charge of up to $42/ton ($55/pallet, 1.3 ton/pallet) to drop off a pallet of pellets? I'm just asking a simple question. Another local store that is selling pellets (a grain/feed store that is jumping on the pellet sales bandwagon for the first time) is quoting a delivery charge of $50/ton!

The wear and tear on the truck and fuel is nominal for each additional ton, the driver wage would be the same. Beat them at their own game, order one ton at a time, a day or two apart.

Lance1 said:
The wear and tear on the truck and fuel is nominal for each additional ton, the driver wage would be the same. Beat them at their own game, order one ton at a time, a day or two apart.

I have an even better idea...take my business elsewhere ;)

Jim

I realize there are charges associated with vehcile operations...But these companies never said anything about those issues..They blamed it soley on diesel fuel which was pushing $5.00..So what's the excuse now?? Seems like they are cashing in on the pellet craze!! Ordered my pellets from PelletSales.com in the late spring..paid $225/ton plus $25 per ton for delivery and I thought that was rather high..However, looking back, it was a bargain.

Lobstah said:
Lance1 said:

Jim

Or find a friend with a pickup truck. Even rent an Uhaul, $29 plus mileage would probably be cheaper than $120 delivery charge.

Lance1 said:
Lobstah said:
Lance1 said:

Jim

Or find a friend with a pickup truck. Even rent an Uhaul, $29 plus mileage would probably be cheaper than $120 delivery charge.

Get your back ready.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Lance1 said:
Lobstah said:
Lance1 said:

Jim

Get your back ready.

Eric

One would only need to move it once, seems some move their fuel into basements and such anyway and a forklift would be used to load onto the truck. Besides, it's good exercise :)

Lance1 said:
kinsman stoves said:
Lance1 said:
Lobstah said:
Lance1 said:

Jim

Get your back ready.

Eric

One would only need to move it once, seems some move their fuel into basements and such anyway and a forklift would be used to load onto the truck. Besides, it's good exercise :)

Yes and forklifts cost money, insurance, fuel, and someone to run it. That all ads into the pricing and delivery of pellets.

Eric

Vote with your wallet. If I think someone is charging too much, I just don't give them my business. If everyone would think like this, prices would go down, or that particular seller would go out of business.

kinsman stoves said:
Lance1 said:
kinsman stoves said:
Lance1 said:
Lobstah said:
Lance1" date="1228422290 said:

Jim

Get your back ready.

Eric

Yes and forklifts cost money, insurance, fuel, and someone to run it. That all ads into the pricing and delivery of pellets.

Eric

The forklift cost is nominal for the couple of minutes of operation to load a ton. Besides the forklift cost is probably already factored into the pellet price, as a cost of doing business (overhead). Loading material onto a private party vehicle is generally free (because the forklift cost already has been factored).

I always go by the KISS principle.

If I don't like the prices or the service, I move on to the next guy.

That is what is good about America, choices.

Eric

Exactly. I go buy several Lowes and Home Depots 2-3 times a week. I have no problem stopping in with my car and picking up 10 bags ;)

Jim

Lobstah said:
Exactly. I go buy several Lowes and Home Depots 2-3 times a week. I have no problem stopping in with my car and picking up 10 bags ;)

Jim

Hi Jim; Why do you even consider pellet heating when your so super wealthy that you can buy several Lowes and Home Depots 2-3 times a week?

itworks said:
Hi Jim; Why do you even consider pellet heating when your so super wealthy that you can buy several Lowes and Home Depots 2-3 times a week?
Maybe since I've helped him w/ his stove, he'll give me a store. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.