Pellet Hangups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpica

Dec 20, 2013
Bensalem, PA
Have two Harman's, one free standing 2500 and the other a fireplace insert. BOTH have problems w/pellets hanging up on the sides, well before end of load. Auger has no pellets in it, so stoves just shut down. I tried coating sides of chutes w/silicon, but no good at all. Sawdust just tended to stick to the sides anyway. Have to regularly inspect chutes to manually jostle the pellets to get them to move down. Went back to my dealer but he blamed it on 'faulty' defective pellets, too much sawdust in bags, etc. Of course, his pellets 'never' have this problem, but...his pellets cost a fortune compared to all others. Have read tons of other posts with people having same problem as myself and with stoves other than Harman too. ???? Pellet Hangups

My stove did it just this morning. I've even tried waxing the hopper using waxed paper. I just try to catch it before the hopper gets that empty.

try graphite

Install a vibrator to shake them loose ;)

I used to have to push the pellets down 2 or 3 times in one hopper load. Now I give the sides a quick vacuum if I see a lot of fines (sawdust) when the hopper is low and they slide down on their own. I guess they cling to the fines...

Reactions: Mrr211
Of course, his pellets 'never' have this problem, but...his pellets cost a fortune compared to all others.

Bet you he's telling a fib;hm What pellets do you use? What does the dealer sell? I just use a piece of wood doweling to move pellets down.

Have read several 'solutions' including:
Rub w/Steel Wool • Rub w/Wax Paper • Spray Graphite • Spray Furniture Polish • Bee's Wax

I tried spraying silicon but no good at all. Going to try the graphite one 1st & report back. Of course, I'll be sure to turn stove off 1st as it might explode otherwise! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.