New to the forum and have a question regarding horizontal venting on an Avalon Astoria pellet stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sporta

Oct 29, 2023
Reno, NV
Hi all. Like the title says, I have an Avalon Astoria pellet stove with a 4" vent pipe that is a straight shot out of the wall. We originally installed a vent cap like this:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 213945.jpg

The problem that we have is the pellet stove is on the West side of the house (2 story, installed on first floor in the "great room" that is in a direct line of sight to the 2nd floor bedrooms) and we get high winds that occasionally will blow in the exhaust and cause the stove to smoke in the house. No bueno. I checked the installation manual again and found that it wants a "Horizontal Rain Cap" for the termination like this:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 213747.jpg

Does anyone have a part number for a cap like that? I have found a few like this:
Screenshot 2023-10-27 153321.jpg

but I wonder how it would do in high winds. It is not unusual to get 35+ mph sustained winds during severe storms. At times its so bad, we have to shut the stove down and rely on other heat sources.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve