1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet insert air intake

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by dsm1212, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsm1212

dsm1212 New Member

Loc:
    Boston MA
    I've read a number of topics here about whether or not fresh air intakes are needed, but I've decided I'd like to hook one up. House is fairly new and tight. Fireplace has an ash dump with a door outside through the chimney brick. It's under my front porch so it's difficult to access but I can get at it to make changes. Does anyone make a replacement outside door for an ash dump with a hole in it? How should I go about creating one? Maybe if I screen the hole and then let the door cracked open? Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Don

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dsm1212

dsm1212 New Member

Loc:
    Boston MA
    No ideas I guess. I ordered a simpson fresh air kit 3pvp-aik at dynamitebuys.com. I'm going to fashion a covering from this that fits the outside hole for my ash dump cleanout door. This thing has a little screen on the hole to keep critters out. It's well under my deck that I can just barely crawl under so I'll just prop the cast iron door open a couple of inches permanently.

Don
  3. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    missed this post somehow, anyway , i'd check to see if the door can easily be removed, if so , pull the door and measure it out have a simple sheet metal (maybe stainless to prevent corrosion) door with a hole that would match your intake line , then screen the opening.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

I agree. I don't think I'd just leave the door open a few inches....it doesn't take much space for "critters" to get in.
  5. dsm1212

dsm1212 New Member

Loc:
    Boston MA
    Yes, I was going to cover/screen it. But it's possible I can just pull the whole thing out. If it ever stops raining I'll get under there and check.

thanks,

Don
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.