Pellet insert + cleanout door to basement window = OAK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relxn88

Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Ma.
I have a pellet insert and I use the cleanout door opening , in the fireplace, for the fresh air intake. The cleanout goes to my basement and I leave the basement cleanout door off. I was thinking of getting a 25 foot 4" aluminum flex pipe from Home Depot and running it from one of my basement windows to the cleanout door in the basement. My question is: Will this work for an outside air kit and will I notice any difference in the way my stove runs? My stove seems to be running OK, but if it would run better with the flex for the outside air, it would seem to be a good $20 investment.

I would doubt that it would up to code if you did that.

CygnusX1 said:
I would doubt that it would up to code if you did that.
I think you may be misunderstanding, I'm talking about the intake air to the stove, not the exhaust outlet. My exhaust outlet is a 4" sealed pipe that goes up my old chimney flue and is sealed at the top so no outside air can come down the old flue. I've had my stove inspected by the town and there was no problem(per the building inspector) using the air from the cleanout to use for the intake air in the stove. I wouldn't think a pipe from the basement cleanout door( everything is concrete) to a basement window (also in concrete) would have anything to do with coding. After all, a regular OAK thru a wall terminates much closer to flammable source(side of the house) then a flex pipe at the cleanout door 8 feet below the stove and surrounded by concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.