Pellet Insert Setup for most efficient usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay_e_jay

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2010
Maryland
Hey,
I was hoping you all could provide a little insight to the best or most efficient way to use my pellet stove as supplement heat... I have a Quadra Fire 1200i and am trying to establish a temperature setting on my pellet thermostat and home heating thermostat. In order to properly heat my entire house I still need my home thermostat to kick on but trying to determine the most efficient way to accomplish this without over using my home heating oil.. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Depends on how far away the oil t-stat is away from the pellet stove. My stove is centrally located in the house, and the oil t-stat is 25 feet away. I set the oil at 65 which is the lowest I
want the house to get,,,,,ever. I don't have the pellet stove on a t-stat. I do have the pellet stove on a feed rate that keeps the central part of the house at 70 degrees 24/7. The stove runs
24/7 at any given feed rate based on what the outside temp is or what it is going to be for any given 12 hour period. Its a matter of getting a feel for the stove and what it can do. Keeping ahead of the
prevailing weather is key. I know Quads work on a T-stat, so things may be a little different, but if you set the oil at 2-3 degrees below a target temp for what the stove is set for, you'll burn mostly pellets.
Keep an eye on remote rooms where frozen pipes could be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.