Pellet Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captkirk5858

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2009
Northern Vermont
Good evening
First of all I would like to thank Everyone for the education that i have received over the past year on this forum. I purchased a NEW Breckwell Big E (large Window) at a steal of a price With an Ash Vac from a private seller. Installed myself. Pretty straight forward IMO. I believe i got a good deal at my Local HD on 2 1/2 tons of Hamer Hot ones. 175 a Ton. I Posted a pic cause i know that if I didn't..... It didn't happen. So now my learning curve has increased in how to get the best out of this stove. i have burned about 6 bags so far. some 50/50s first then to the Hardwood hamers before i bought a bunch. didn't like the 50/50s cause the ash would just create a huge mass in the burn pot instead of letting it fall through into the pan. made the switch and that went away.... i do have one question though. why does the flame seem to blow onto the window? seems to not matter what setting it's on or where the damper is set at, it still licks the glass and of course cause's it to get really dirty over a few days. seems to me that over time it will weaken the door seal. any thoughts?

Samm in Vermont......

Attachments

• PA230287.jpg
    PA230287.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 291
Welcome to the forum Samm. Stove looks great, and you got a great price on the Hamer's pellets.

As for the flame, I'll leave that to the Breckwell Big E experts. You could also try sending a PM or calling Eric at Kinsman Stoves....he has done a great job over the years at educating people on here about Breckwell stoves. He might have an answer for you.

Hi samm, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting a picture and if you get the XXV please post a picture of that too!

On the dirty glass, I don't remember if the bigE had an air wash system or not, If it does? Make sure its open and clean. Snap a photo of the lower part of the door glass. There should be a metal strip at the bottom. There should be about 1/32 clearance to allow air to sweep up the glass.

after spending the day with my stovei feel i have cleaned the crappy pellets from the system and seems so far to be operating much better. i did take that metal strip off the lower edge of the door ( thank You ) and indeed their is a couple washers to get your clearence for the air wash. i will watch it this week while Burning Hamers and see if it duplicats. before i get creative...I also installed a Thermostat...

Congrats on your new stove. Enjoy!

What is the side clearance on the Big E?
Looks like that hot water heater is awful close.

12" from a side Wall or combustables... i't s 10" now and it will be going away for an On-Demand system in the near future. I was Very Limited on where it could go. I have run this stove on the highest setting and Keep checking to see if anything is warm, especially the wall thimble. and So far it's all cool to the touch.

Hi samm, Welcome to the forum, great price on the Hamers. the people in here have so much info to pass on to you. I am still learning. I thaught pellets were pellets and if you cleaned the stove you would be ok. I never knew anything about "good" pellets, feed raits, or what a OKE is sussposed to do.

Samm, after looking at your pic again, is that an unfinished basement?

Yes. 1920's new england home with a stone wall foundation and a rough poured floor. i have used a monitor Kero heater down there to just take the chill out of the air, But it didn't do anything for the moisture. the first night i ran the Stove the humidity level dropped to around 45 %. and the room is running in the 69-72 degree range. this old place had a wood burnng stove right in the middle of the basement when we purchaced it. took that system out all the way to the roof and kept the draw for a laundry shoot. minus the liner.. I have been trying to get away from the Kero at 3.88 a gal for two years now. and I am on my way. Still have tanks down there but soon i will have that Harman XXV in my living room and totally re-arange this old house. Cant wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.