Pellet options, dirty vs. clean but not as much heat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
As I said earlier I bought 6 bags of AWF Pine softwood pellets and they smell great, burn hot, and have very little ash compared to my pres-to-logs. However, within 3 hours the glass was blackened. I can deal with that as long as the stove doesn't get clogged up and mess up my rhythm.

What would you do:
Would you pay $275 for a ton of the softies, (if they are still in stock).
buy a half ton of the softies (cause they are a bit expensive)

or buy "Power pellets" if they come in on time as predicted for $229 a ton?

Thanks.

Have you made adjustments to your feed rate and combustion air when you changed to the softwoods? Something is off on your burn if the glass is blackening...

As I said earlier I bought 6 bags of AWF Pine softwood pellets and they smell great, burn hot, and have very little ash compared to my pres-to-logs. However, within 3 hours the glass was blackened. I can deal with that as long as the stove doesn't get clogged up and mess up my rhythm.

What would you do:
Would you pay $275 for a ton of the softies, (if they are still in stock).
buy a half ton of the softies (cause they are a bit expensive)

or buy "Power pellets" if they come in on time as predicted for $229 a ton?

Thanks.

I'd go with the softies, clean my glass more often and tinker till I got my stove burning just right.

I had no luck with the AWF Softwoods and yes they will plug your stove regardless of the settings you try!

Dirtiest pellet I have ever burned!

Status
Not open for further replies.