Pellet or wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickn

Hearth Supporter
Apr 5, 2010
denville nj
Hello,
I am new to the forum but would like some advice. I’m looking to purchase a wood burning or pellet stove insert in the next 4 months. I have spoken with several dealers in my area (northern NJ), I’m trying to decide on getting a wood or pellet insert. The wood burning inserts that I have looked at and researched have been the Hampton HI300 and the Quadra-Fire 5100-1. The pellet stoves that I looked at are the Harman Accentra and the Quadra-Fire Castile Insert. I was wondering what would be my best bet to go with. Some helpful info: I would have to purchase both wood or pellets, I’m looking for something to supplement my current heating system, looking to heat the down stairs portion of my house mostly when were at home (evenings, weekends). I would like to know what system you would recommend and why? Thank you .
Nick N

I would do pellets for the simple fact of it being easier. Less ash, no splitting, can set temp, auto on and off, and simple to use. Basically set it and forget it. Wood takes much more tending. I'm a Harman guy and have been happy with my P61a. Quadra fire makes a quality product as well. I selected Harman because they are local to me, quality local dealer that handled that brand and not the other, and more of a factor the heat output was greater then others (at least at the time). Everything that you have selected is of great quality, it might come down to looks and price rather then functionality.

Wood=cheaper than pellets and more work to load, simpler designs, less to go wrong
Pellet=easier to use, more expensive to buy and the stoves have a ton more moving parts than wood burners.

Do you have Natural gas service to your home?

In regards to the wood inserts your looking at, there is a huge difference in capacity between Hampton and the 5100 quad.

First let's look at the differences or similarities:

Wood:

Chimney requirements. bigger than wood pellets req.

Fuel storage space. outside under a big tarp or lean-to shed.

Fuel loading. heavy, bulky, dirty and frequent.

Ash removal. couple times a season

Pre-buy to lock-in cost up front. whatever is available in your area

Room temperature control. little control...speed up or slow down some

Maintenance routine to have peak efficiency. very little needed, ash removal and chimney upkeep and clean and oil fan,

Cost to maintain or repair...self or hired. suit yourself here

Wood Pellets:

Chimney requirements. smaller 3'"-4"

Fuel storage space. definitely under roof

Fuel loading. all bagged @ 40#, probably average 1+ bags a day

Ash removal. more often...depends on stove and amount used

Pre-buy to lock-in cost up front. depends on local suppliers stock

Room temperature control. thermostatic controlled set-point

Maintenance routine to have peak efficiency. Almost daily, some tasks weekly, and after every ton or ton and a half burned.

Cost to maintain or repair...self or hired. More parts means more parts to maintain or repair...if hired out will add up. Preventative self maintenance is paramount.

Thank you for the information and replying. tIs going to be a tough decision. Does anyone have any of the inserts i mentioned.I currently heat my house with oil.

I have the accentra insert and love it. Heats my entire house. Note I have improved my insulation in stages and now have R22 walls Windows with roman shades, R54 celling all wrapped in an 1880 Sq foot center hall colonial.

I have installed mine to take advantage of natural draft in the house and it is a zero clearance install Saved over $500 since Late November and the average house temperature went from 67 to 72 which pleases my wife.

Total service time is 5 minues per day, 45 minutes Saturday morning cleanout, and 2 house of downtime about every ton for a run with he leafblower trick (Durring the Sat morning clean out so in this clean out I need to let the stove go absoluteley cold. Takes less than an houre of actual work.

All inserts are noisier than frestanding of the same model. Nature of usually having different (more compact) fans, channels, and I think even heat chambers.

I almost bought the HI300 but it was smaller than what I wanted... so i went with something bigger like the 5100.......
I also have a harman accentra pellet stove...
my pellet stove is drop a bag in and go..... which is good .. less mess yes ..still dusty though.. but easy to control
my PE summit woodstove... yes more work must load 2-3 times a day when real cold.....
yes wood is stored outside about about 11 cords ...... good for about 3 real cold winters.....
pellets dont take up the same space... but i have almost 2 tons of pellets IN MY HOUSE, because you really shouldnt leave them outside years at a time...you can but somewhere in the ton(s) you will get swollen pellets.....
my woodstove heats a larger area than pellet... but both work well for their setups........
If you are a busy type person, always on the go, or have back problems or no patience... get a pellet stove......
if you want more of the "fire" feeling go wood... if you dont care, about the "fire" depending on what kind of furnace you have you may be able to get a add on wood furnace/boiler or pellet add on... which is what i honestly wish i would have done..... and i like fire! also if you have kids... wood stove will get A LOT HOTTER!

Do you have frequent power outages? Wood will get you through that while pellets will not.

Also, IMHO pellets are more applicable if you want to heat while you are not home - at least until the hopper runs out. But wood takes some stoking to hold you over until you get home.

Accentra - 40 minutes to clean everything

Castile - 1 hr 30 minutes to clean everything

3 cleanings per year = 150 minutes x 10 years = 1500 minutes = 25 hrs = 3 days off to go fishing.

If you make your wife clean the stove, like I do, then she has more time to cook. ;-)

Burning wood can create cresote problems.

Pellets do not.

Talk to anyone who has had a chimney fire.

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.