Pellet pre buys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP52NOVA

Dec 11, 2014
Northern Virginia
One the dealers in my area if offering a pellet pre-buy during April. They are selling Hamer hot ones pellets for $259 a ton, plus a $95 delivery charge (for 4 tons). This is just about the same price I paid last year for 4 tons of pellets of the same pellets. They were not the best, but also not the worst.

In my area, prices are around the $280 - $290 per ton right now and I am not sure we will see them go down anytime soon. This is also a very early sale. So what do you think? Should I jump on it and buy them now, or wait for the summer - expecting a drop in price, risking it may not happen?

I'd wait myself.

Reactions: Ranger72
Do what you are comfortable with.
If you are the type of person that will dwell on spending 10 bucks a ton more now,
and insuring you have them, than later in the year, then by all means wait.

You just can't look back when you make a decision. You'll worry yourself to death.
My Mom locked in on her oil at $3.40ish a gallon.
The price was under $2.50 for a good portion of the season..

Whatareyougonnado? It could have worked the other way..
Life is a gamble..... There is no sure thing. 'cept dyin'...

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I'd wait longer as well.

Do what you are comfortable with.
If you are the type of person that will dwell on spending 10 bucks a ton more now,
and insuring you have them, than later in the year, then by all means wait.

You just can't look back when you make a decision. You'll worry yourself to death.
My Mom locked in on her oil at $3.40ish a gallon.
The price was under $2.50 for a good portion of the season..

Whatareyougonnado? It could have worked the other way..
Life is a gamble..... There is no sure thing. 'cept dyin'...

I have a similar story. I pre bought LP last year at $1.65 a gallon guaranteed, 1500 gallons at 15% down. No issue. In as much as I hunt with the owner of the LP gas company, I always know the actual buy price for that day, or week, or month (it fluctuates constantly) but, this last winter the PPG of propane never broke $1.45. I agreed on 1500 @ $1.65 and thats what I paid. In past years I made out. This last winter I took it in the posterior.

He don't know it yet, but he's driving to Montana in November.....I'll get even.....:ZZZ

You win some, you loose some.

Note.... I heat my machine shop with propane and the house with a bio-fuel stove so I need propane yearly.

Reactions: Peterfield
Pre buy at my local supplier.

Last year - Barefoot $269 Now $275 + Delivery
Last Year- Dry Creek $245 Now 235 + Delivery

Reactions: Peterfield
That ain't bad. It's less than the rate of inflation....

Status
Not open for further replies.