pellet quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwww

Jan 4, 2009
Western Wisconsin
Wondering if anyone is burning 'Nature's Fuel' pellets. They seem to create a lot of ash but I am a rookie with pellet stoves and maybe don't know if they are or not.

I have a P68 with the auger set at 4 and I seem to get a lot of ash build-up on both sides of the burn pot. Additionally that ash build up is not loose but kind of hard and pumice like. Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening in this situation and if it's anything to be concerned about? That buildup happens at a higher rate too.

thanks

I can't speak for "Natures Fuel" pellets, but what you describe for the ash sounds normal. How much ash you get is pellet dependant. The best thing to do would be to experiment with trying different pellets brands until you find a brand and pellet type that works best with your stove and settings.

I just started burning the Forrest's Pride($6.00 per bag) myself this week that I found at Walmart and my god are they great!!...really...they are much better than any other brand INCLUDING PINNACLE!!..go figure..
your results sound typical of all the brands I've tried so far so don't be discouraged...the pellet quality this year IMO has gone done the proverbial crapper this year..but these FP's are standing tall and burning clean
I'm lucky here where I live that I can goto the local HD or TSC or Ace or Wallymart or local heating stores and pick up all different brands of pellets..I'd say Ive tried atleast 8-10 different brands with all the same results
no sense in buying by the ton up here either..no one is giving a bargain for buying them like that this year..easier for me just to run to the store and pick up 5 or so at a time when I need it..takes up less space this way..

In regards to the ash situation here..
I have feed rate on 2
stove temp on 3(NOT room temp)..I like a steady low heat(stove temp) compared to a high heat on then turn off then high heat back style(room temp)yes im probably wasting an extra bag a week but I like it much better
I have yet to fill my burn pot to the edge per bag..its amazing..the ash is coarse but no more than any other pellets I've tried so far but the quantity is excellent..very low
I DO have my OAK connected and the temp here has been mid to high 20's lately with humidity around 75-85¬cording to my gauges and the bags lasts approx 15-18hrs..its my ONLY source of heat heating just over 1900sq.ft of a 120 yr.old house..stays in the mid to high 60's upstairs with my 2 standing fans circulating the air

if you've got anymore questions feel free to ask hopefully I can help out some..good luck

HarmanP68 said:
.I like a steady low heat(stove temp) compared to a high heat on then turn off then high heat back style(room temp)yes im probably wasting an extra bag a week but I like it much better

maybe "room temp" is different on the P series, but on my accentra, it doesn't go "high/low" like that; it figures out the actual heat load on the house, and adjusts itself accordingly, and just stays there. It keeps a very steady flame.

The tech couldn't make it so I decided to try something myself...I decided to clean my ESP..my god was this thing filthy black...wiped it to a shiny finish and stove defintely runs better..those crappy pellets don't burn so bad now and the good ones burn alot nicer...but now my fan speed won't stay on at high..it can't make up its mind ...sometimes it wants to run on high others med-high...if this keeps up Im calling dealer again to replace it

Status
Not open for further replies.