pellet recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutter

Nov 23, 2009
Hello, I had a Harman Accentra fireplace insert installed a few weeks ago and i'd like to purchase a batch of pellets from www.woodpellets.com.

They have 4 kinds of pellets available, but I don't know of a way to test a couple of bags of each before deciding.

SO....I was wondering if anybody who has the same pellet stove as I do has any experience with any of these brands and can give recommendations?

the brands offered through the site are:

Cleanfire Pacific
Granules LG Wood Pellets
Michigan Wood Pellet
Cleanfire Hardwood

Where are you from? There may be a local dealer in your area.

I'm from Tiverton RI.

the place I bought my stove from doesn't sell the same pellets as the website.

I did check the website and found a local affiliated business, but they don't sell by the bag. although he did say they guarantee their pellets...not sure exactly what that means.

Looks like they offer Somersets, I burn those ones in the colder months, as they burn really hot and are also very clean burning. The only other ones I have tried is the Michigan's, which aren't bad, but put out an awful lot of ash.

Buying a few bags at a time of different brands is a good way to tell what brand your stove burns best. Many of us have found that Barefoot is one of the top, if not the top brands out there. Some other brands that I found decent were Green Team from Lowe's and LG Granules.

If you have a truck we buy multiple truckloads every year so we all get a decent deal on the cost of pellets. At the moment we're buying Barefoot pellets and they're selling for $245/ton.

Sutter,

Depending on which direction you go from Tiverton.

Ash-A-Way in Dartmouth on Rt 6 has a good supply. They are great to deal with as well. They used to sell by the bag.
Aquidneck Fireplace in Middletown, RI on Aquidneck Ave. is joined at the hip with Ash-A-Way. Same supply.

J& S Trucking in Berkley,MA is where I bought my latest ton from. June the owner is awesome to deal with. Great knowledge about pellets and stoves and easy loading. They had 4 brands last week when I was there from Maine Woods, Appling County, Okanagan, and Dragon Mountains. I went with the Okies. I paid $275 for a ton. They are located just off RT 24 in Mass. at Exit 11 (Paddleford St.) I will probably buy my next ton from them as well.

I think there is also a dealer on RT 177 in Westport. Not familiar with them. Just drove by there a few times.

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

As Nailed mentioned, Ash-away and J&S are really nice people to deal with.

Here are a few more places to check-
J&J Materials on Rt6 near Seekonk Speedway and Eastern Ice in Fall River.

I've got a Glow Boy insert and have burned the following (comments to the side) and rated for my stove from best to worst.

1. Hamer Hotones (Nice burn, clean)
2. Somerset (close to the Hamer for clean burn)
3. Penningtons (OK but burn dirtier than the others) If I can get one of the others, I think I'll pass on these for future burns.

Lowes carried the Penningtons and Tractor Supply has the Somersets this year. (Ohio)

Sutter,
I'm also in Tiverton and on my 2nd season burning an Accentra FS. I've used Eureka Premium and O'Malley's. The Eureka's burned good with nominal ash. The O'Malley's not as hot with more ash.

The dealer that NAILER mentioned on RT 177 is " MASON'S CORNER' and they carry Barefoots and O'malleys as well.

Steve

I've heard mostly good things about LG's...

I'm currently burning Granules LG from them, I bunkered up with 6 tons last fall, I'm into my third ton. They are a decent pellet.

Member jtakeman spent quite a bit of time this season trying out various pellet brands in his stove, there are two threads:

This one is on pellets found at pellet houses https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

and this one is on pellets found at big boxes plus two that weren't for comparison https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

Please remember Jay did this for his use and you will be hard pressed to duplicate what he has done, because your pellets will likely be from a different run , your stove is different, as is your cleaning regimen. Any of these will have an effect on how well a pellet performs in your stove.

Your stove is far more tolerant of higher ash levels than a number of stoves as it pushes the ash away from the burn area, not all stoves do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.