1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

pellet storage

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Angelus, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelus

Angelus New Member

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Anyone have suggestions for pellet storage? Would a detached garage or detached out building be ok it they are well sealed or would too much moisture reach the pellets?

Also, I have a 2100sq ft home. I am going to use a pellet stove as primary heat. Any ideas on how many tons I should buy at first to get me through next winter?
    thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fletchtb

fletchtb New Member

Loc:
    Fletcher, Vermont
    I store my pellets in a detached garage, and don't notice any problems with moisture. I had about half a ton from the 06-07 winter in my garage all summer long, and they burned great this fall.

I just store my pellets in the bags they come in stacked on pallets.

My Northern Vermont home is about 2100 sq ft and pretty drafty. In 05-06 (before my I had a stove), I purchased over 1700 gallons of proane. My first year with the stove, my propane dropped to about 500 gallons and this year I expect to be closer to 400 gallons. I burn my Enviro Empress on High (5) most of the winter to heat as much of the house as I can. I have burned about 5 tons so far this winter. I expect to buy my sixth ton this weekend. I may have to buy another half ton in the spring to get me through. I bought about 6.5 tons last year and burnt a little bit over 6 tons.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.