Pellet Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I store 3 pallets in an enclosed porch off the room the stove is in.
I would only worry about co off-gassing if I stored loose pellets in a sealed hopper
Detectors on the first floor and hallway of the second floor, they are also smoke detectors

I gave a large box that holds 16 40lb bags, I dump them in so they’re loose…scoop them out with a metal bucket. Kept in the shed attached to the house, also have room in another shed for a pallet

I store 3 tons in my 650 sq/ft basement and another 3 tons in the under-house 13x24 garage. I've never had any issue. Best practice when you have any appliance (cook stoves, DHW, heat) that produces flames from any fuel source, is to have CO detectors. I have a couple both on the main floor and in the basement.

PXL_20211024_140115303.jpg

4 ton and no problems in many years but if they would be stored any where inside the house I would have a CO detector PXL_20211025_233725004.jpg

Reactions: bogieb