Pellet Stove and Mantel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craigmiller

Nov 6, 2010
Western WA State
I picked up an old rusty Whitfield Advantage WP2 pellet stove insert for $150 with the intent of restoring it and then replacing our inefficient carbon spewing gas fireplace insert. A month of evenings spent wire brushing, sand blasting, painting and gasket replacing later and I'm ready to install it.

I made the mistake of assuming that I'd have no trouble swapping one insert for the other. Unfortunately, the pellet stove insert has additional clearance requirements for the mantle. Basically I need a mantle that is about 4-5" higher than the one I have now and I need additional brick showing. The mantel and brick surrounding the gas fireplace appears to have been installed at the same time as the gas fireplace by the previous owners. We don't have the money to drop into a bunch of custom carpentry, but we also don't want to devalue the home by hacking up the mantle. My question is, how do I proceed?

Fireplace as it is now Roughly what it would need to be like for the pellet stove.

Attachments

• CM110510_7272.jpg
    CM110510_7272.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 435
  • fireplace_markedup.jpg
    fireplace_markedup.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 366
I spoke with my local stove dealer, and he suggested we trim the shield down to fit within the opening, but that we add a 45 degree bend at the top to redirect the heat away from the wooden surround.

Safe, simple, cheap, aesthetically pleasing, and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.