Pellet Stove Fire Damages Champaign County Home in Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

The TV commentator said it was a unique type of wood stove! The firefighter said it was a pellet stove!!

The firefighter said it was a boxed in type chimney so they had to cut into the roof to stop flames from spreading!

See video
http://www.whiotv.com/news/27380915/detail.html

Posted: 5:23 am EDT March 31, 2011Updated: 12:37 pm EDT March 31, 2011
CHAMPAIGN CO., Ohio -- A woman was forced out of her Champaign County home early Thursday morning after flames took over the chimney of her log cabin home outside Christiansburg.

Firefighters arrived on the scene after midnight to find a boxed-in chimney on fire from top to bottom.

Fifty volunteer firefighters battled the blaze and supervisors considered calling in more. Christiansburg Fire Asst. Chief Mike Sullenberger said, "My first initial thought was to get mutual aid here ... but we got it knocked down real good and got it out." The fire was under control before it swept through the entire house.

The fire started in the chimney of the pellet stove on the end of the house, Sullenberger said.

No one was injured, but the house was heavily damaged.

Firefighters needed to cut into the home's roof to make sure the fire didn't hide in the attic and then re-kindle, wiping out even more of the intricate log cabin type workmanship.

An estimate has yet to be determined.

Attachments

• ohioPelletStoveFireInChimney.jpg
    ohioPelletStoveFireInChimney.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 288
"fire started in the chimney".........so, maybe a chimney fire from a poorly-maintained unit?

Don, youre amazing at finding this stuff! Once upon a time, I searched for fires/explosions related to gas appliances........FAR too many to even list.......I eventually gave up.....and many of those were actually total losses of th domicile.....they....just....exploded.....not much of a fire, I guess, when the house is scattered over a few blocks of the neighborhood.

Hello

Well if there is more than one appliance connected to the chimney then creosote from a wood stove could cause the chimney fire.

Any other ideas how this can be started?

Status
Not open for further replies.