pellet stove glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Hi all, rainy here and browsing this great site.Lots of good experience here, I see. Just thinking and wondering ,what do you folks recomend for cleaning my Harmon p61 stove glass?
Also, should I clean it weekly, or just whenever it gets ugly? Also, I have the fake logs. Thanks Doug

Windex w/ Vinegar works good. I'm not talking about mixing normal Windex with vinegar... there is actually a Windex that uses vinegar instead of ammonia.

Last season, I just wiped mine down with a damp paper towel.

It needed more frequent attention in the spring and fall (when it would cycle on and off). In the hearth of winter, with it running constantly, the glass did not seem to need cleaning very often.

use some of the ashes with water on a paper towel. That or something like Spray nine Fireview really works great.

Newer stoves a damp paper towel works fine
if you have build up Speedy White Hearth and stone cleaner is what I sell

I like these got 'em last year and work good for a quick cleaning. Ie: I don't worry about spaying something
on hot glass and cracking it.
For heavy cleaning I use the liquid when I do the shutdown cleaning..

Attachments

• glass cleaner.JPG
    glass cleaner.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 309
Not sure if it is superstition, but I remember being told that using the "wet ash" method could put tiny scratches into the glass and make it have a permanent cloudy look after a few years. For this reason, I would say to wipe as much of the loose ash off with either no cleaner or just a slightly damp cloth, and then use any of various cleaners - from vinegar to Speedy-White to Rutland Glass Cleaner.

Note, the wet ash business may be more of a problem with coal stoves. Hopefully, Rod (Hearthtools) can weigh in on this, as he is one of the top experts in the country on pellet stoves in general, and he has seen it all!

Buck a bottle window cleaner from the dollar store and paper towels have been working fine on the glass in my wood stoves for over twenty years. Glass on the twenty year old stove looked brand new when I replaced the stove. On the new stove after cleaning it looks like I forgot to close the door.

With two stoves a bottle lasts three seasons of daily cleaning and it doesn't make any difference if the glass is hot or cold. Spritzing ain't gonna crack hot Pyroceram. Logs end crack Pyroceram.

Keep buying that fancy stuff folks. Helps the economy.

you forgot to add in the price of the paper towels BB :)
Those Wipes were like 3 bucks and the wife uses them on the cook top too...

GVA said:
you forgot to add in the price of the paper towels BB :)
Those Wipes were like 3 bucks and the wife uses them on the cook top too...

Wow good price. Darn things are eight bucks here.

BB - Who hates cleaning his new ceramic stove top.

Ceramic is tough and doesn't scratch as easy as you think. It is the same material as Ceramic cook wear and people scrub them clean every day.
I have been known to use Fine steel wool, Razer blade and speedy white to clean Ceramic on a Pellet master or Martin Pellet stove glass or two hundred.
Note both stove are positive pressure and glass Gets DIRTY and if a customer doesn't clean it before relighting it it will bake on like an dirty oven that has not been cleaned in 20 years.

Ceramic is not known to break when liquid is put on it hot.
I seen With my own eyes a test at the Travis Factory where they had to swing a one pound weight into a large glass on FPX and then spray water out of a hole on it.
The glass did not break.

Status
Not open for further replies.