pellet stove ignitor (durabilty)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl0525

Oct 16, 2010
North Texas
Is it hard on a stoves ignitor to have it on a tstat.i would think the start and stop of the stove is hard on the stove in general. does it shorten the stove ignitors life cycle? Thanks

As long as it isn't going on every hour. Probably not. Once or twice a day is about normal for me. I have seen stoves with the same igniter for over 10 years. Yes that stove was on a thermostat. For the most part they are pretty durable.

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 476
j-takeman said:
As long as it isn't going on every hour. Probably not. Once or twice a day is about normal for me. I have seen stoves with the same igniter for over 10 years. Yes that stove was on a thermostat. For the most part they are pretty durable.

Ouch, I could be in trouble. With the thermostat set at 65, mine kicks on about every hour right now, burns for a few minutes and then shuts off.

RidgeRunner56 said:
j-takeman said:

Ouch, I could be in trouble. With the thermostat set at 65, mine kicks on about every hour right now, burns for a few minutes and then shuts off.

Look into a thermostat that has a swing adjustment. Yours may have one now. I'd increase the swing to reduce this.

Any idea if the Breckwell remote thermostat has this swing adjustment? Would that be something like I set it to 70 degrees to shut off, but it doesn't turn back on until it goes down til maybe 65?

jmbones said:
Any idea if the Breckwell remote thermostat has this swing adjustment? Would that be something like I set it to 70 degrees to shut off, but it doesn't turn back on until it goes down til maybe 65?

Yes that's about right. Swing is the amount of degree's the stat will let the room cool below the setting. It will also run the amount past the setting before turning the stove off.

Breckwells igniters are pretty durable, But messing with the swing will just add some extra life to it.

Don't know much about the breckwell remote, But I doubt they actually make it. Its probably another unit rebadged. Should be a manual on it that will explain whats needed to adjust it somewhere. Post some numbers and I'll do some digging for you.

j-takeman said:
Don't know much about the breckwell remote, But I doubt they actually make it. Its probably another unit rebadged. Should be a manual on it that will explain whats needed to adjust it somewhere. Post some numbers and I'll do some digging for you.

I'll check for numbers when I get home. Thx

jmbones said:
j-takeman said:

I'll check for numbers when I get home. Thx

The # on the receiver unit is Acumen 00-002125-00.

If it was a Quad, I wouldn't worry about the igniter, except the MT AE. Any other stove not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.